Split the Bill - Demanding payment from us for service we didint use

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1471 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd also like to see the emails which you sent by way of cancellation. I may have asked this earlier – but please would you put them up now.

Thank you

have you got the contract you signed?

can you post that up.

if it is a generic one then please give a  link to it. chances are it is defective and we are all looking for something that cant be found but would be irrelevant anyways

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have been caught up with University exams. 

Contract with Michael property for a flat share – three people

20th September 2018 – scheduled move in date

24th September 2018** - Terms and conditions email received from split the bill/ stating our account is ready to go

27th September 2018** contract with Split the Bills to commence date

1st of October 2018 email received from Michael property stating that property was not ready

1st of October 2018 temporary accommodation offered by Michael property

9th October 2018 temporary accommodation unbearable, decided to quit.

11th October full refund offered 
15th October 2018 - Broadband activation date 

16th October 2018 - Cancellation email sent to split the bill 

20th October agreement for new property 

I will attach the terms and conditions of split the bills which is the contract for split the bills.

https://www.splitthebills.co.uk/terms/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Group Welcome Email&utm_content=Group Welcome Email+&utm_source=Campaign Monitor Email&utm_term=here 

The email I sent on the 16th October 2018 was also in response to an email from split the bills stating they had problems setting up our water bill. I will attach screenshots of both below. 

It wasn’t until we sent them the following email that we received our first response from split the bill pending the email sent on the 16th October 2018. By which point myself and my housemates were very confused as to the best way to go forward. I will also post the very quick response we received from split the. I hope it is clear for you to read.

Following your PM, I've removed all of the images you posted.

Please take your time and make sure you edit out your personal information, email address, property address and so on and repost them.

The best way to repost them is in a single pdf file so people can view the information easily. Our upload guide should help you with redacting and pdf conversion.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I received a letter and an email from split the bill last week stating that as a final attempt to avoid legal proceedings they are offering me an option to pay 75% of the initial figure, which would bring the payment down from £291.59 to £218.69. That have stated if this payment is not made they will proceed to take legal action which could impact my credit. They have given me until the 24th May to make payment. I am considering whether or not I should pay the 75% figure and get over this burden, or whether I should pay it but still look to pursue them for the money back and damages. Advice would be much appreciated. Thank you 

If you decide to pay the money – then you should give up the idea of recovering it from them. I think it is going to be too much hassle and expense and please forgive me for saying so but it is complicated and you are going to need your friends on board with you and once again, forgive me for saying so – but I think that you don't appear to be able to organise it sufficiently or apply enough time to the problem.

I think for the recovery of this kind of sum in your situation – that you would be best giving it up.

So that leaves us in the position of whether or not you defend the claim – if in fact they bring a claim.

This may sound crazy but I'm still trying to get my head around it all. This thread has gone on for so long and we've had to chase for so many details that it's been difficult to get a view of it in one piece. It's extremely ragged.

Let me have a look through it again and I'll get back to you – but don't be surprised if I have to ask you more questions

I think I may have asked you before – but can you tell me a bit more about the Split the Bill contract.

It was a single contract – with the three of you as contracting parties? Correct?

Have you posted the contract here? Please could you put it up in PDF format.

I understand that two of you attempted to cancel the contract and split the bill are refusing to acknowledge the cancellation because one of you had not given a cancellation.

The contract was in the form of terms and conditions, I posted the link in post #28. And yes two out of three of us requested for the contract to be ended and the point split the bills have made was that they needed all three to contact them before they could cancel anything. 

Thanks, but do you have a copy of the signed contract. That is what I want to see.

Was the welcome email address to the three of you or was there a separate email to each one of you address to each one of you separately.

I'm still not sure that I understand.

The point is that your best argument – apart from any excessive charges, is that the contract was between the three of you – not three separate contracts and so termination by two of you was more than adequate to bring the entire contract to an end.

Once again, on the question of the emails – although they were separate – in that each one of you received a copy. Where they each addressed to you as individuals or whether they are addressed as "dear X, Y, Z" or "dear all".

If there was any evidence of a collective email then that would be helpful but in any event, the whole idea that it is "Split the Bill" is predicated on the fact that there is more than one person. The system couldn't possibly work with only one person and so I think that that is a winning argument for saying that it is a collective contract and for two people to cancel the contract means the whole thing falls because it is impossible to have a bill sharing agreement with only one person.

Maybe you could clarify the email – or even post up a copy of it.

I'm going to say that this thread has been going on for nearly a month and looking back through it, most of it has been spent trying to get information from you and then long gaps before responses. It makes it a bit difficult

Hi

Have you done what I suggested in post#20 with sending a SAR & seperate letter? 

In post#14 you mention Michaela Property could you clarify if this is who you are renting the property from? Then you have the contract/agreement that those 3 renting the property took out with split the bills to make it easier as you all thought at the time.

You need to separate the two issues as your issue with Michaela Property is completely separate to your issue with Split the Bills so I would suggest that since your Topic Title is 'Split the Bill' you only concentrate on that on this Topic and do a separate Topic on Michaela Property linking to this Topic for reference.

The only reason I mention this is your Topic can be confusing as you mention both when we are only dealing with one.

Now if you want to know they actual company you are dealing with go to there main webpage then go to the very bottom of that page and under POLICIES click on Privacy Policy when it open up look at 'Data Protection Officer' and it states "We're Split Living Ltd of Kollifer, Castle House, Castle Street, Sheffield, S3 8LU".  https://www.splitthebills.co.uk/privacy-policy-2018/

Split Living Limited
Kollider
Castle House
Castle Street
Sheffield
England
S3 8LU

Company Number: 10267040

Previous Names: STB 2016 Limited (7th Jul 2016 - 20th Feb 2017)

Company Status: Active

Incorporated: 7th July 2016

Company Type: PLC

Director: Ashley Scott Tate (appointed 7th July 2016)

Companies House link: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10267040

Endole link: https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/10267040-split-living-limited
(note: with the Endole link above go down the webpage and have a good read of the Mutual Companies list and the persons name)

BizDb link: https://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/stb-2016-limited-10267040/

ICO Registration Number: ZA219793
https://ico.org.uk/ESDWebPages/Entry/ZA219793

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group