(47) Stopped on a restricted bus stop or stand - London Borough of Hounslow

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am in need of some assistance please. 

I am a full time student and funding my studies with flexible work (Private hire vehicle driver with Uber).

On 19/01/2020 at 3 pm I had a job picked up from Hounslow and drop off at Hounslow East Tube Station.

The customer had booked this job as she had difficulty walking and particularly requested if I could drop her as close as possible. 

Unfortunately there isn't a suitable area immediately around Hounslow West Station where i could have dropped her and I literally had stopped on the bus stop as there was no traffic behind me (bus or other traffic). 

The customer got off and I continued driving, it took rather few seconds and I didn't park or put hazard lights and it was really just few second. 

Later, I received a ticket in the post, which I challenged on the basis that I am a private hire driver and that customer had difficulty walking and i literally had stopped no more than few second and pretty much continued moving without blocked or restricting any traffic as there was none behind me.

I am now in receipt of rejection of representation with the following text;

"The PCN was isued because the vehicle was observed stopped on a restricted bus stop.

This contravention is one of stopping and occurs as soon as the vehicle becomes stationary, and regardless if an obstrution is caused to buses.

Stopped is not permitted for any length of time on a restricted bus stop of stand.

Only local buses are entitled to use them, or Hackney Carriage stopping to pick up or drop off passengers.

This rule is also in the Highway Code and all drivers should be fully aware of it.

This bus stop was clearly marked, with the words 'BUS STOP' painted in bold on the carriageway, and a thick yellow clearway band running along the kerb.

The adjacent bus stop sign stated 'No stopping except local buses' 

I note your comments regarding stopping in order to drop off/pick up passenger, however stopping is not permitted for any length of time .....

You state that you hold a private hire vehicle licene. IN order for you to be able to use a vehicle in the bus stop it must be licenced as Hackney Carriage under section 37 ......

After carefully  considering your representation and any mitigating circumstances, i am satisfied that the PCN was correctly issued and that there is no reason for it to be cancelled."

I have an option to pay £55 by the 25 March or Appeal to the Parking Adjudicator.

KIngsley Road.JPG

Yes – even in ordinary taxi wouldn't be able to park in a bus stop like that – even for a short moment.

In terms of being an Uber driver – apart from anything else, how would anyone know?

I'm sorry because if you are a student then you probably need the cash very badly – but it's extremely unlikely that anything can be done – other than to pay up before it gets out of hand.

many thanks to you both for replying.

I guess you live and learn, I never had such ticket and mis-read that PHV drivers can drop off passenger on a bus stop. Now I realise that I only read part of it and there are certain where you can't so it is my fault and I will have to take responsibility.

thank you bankfodder for kind words. This is indeed the case as last week and this I have burnt more fuel and expenses than earn anything really and doesn't look like I will be working for next few weeks but hopefully it will all be over soon. I have settled the ticket via credit card to get me some extra time to pay.

Can I be a bit more inconvenience and post one another ticket I had (not a bus stop) and may be I have better chance to get that waived?