Housemate not paying

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In July I entered into a 12 month joint contract to rent a house. Because of difficulty proving my house mates earnings ( she is self employed and not yet filed taxes) I am liable for 100% of the rent. 

Things between us have got very messy personally between us ( long story not worth sharing)and she has left to go stay with her new man.

She is now saying she won't be paying the bills since she isn't here! She has agreed she will have to keep paying the rent and council tax.

Although technically I can afford the rent it cleans me out each month.

Rent and all bills due in a few days and she hasn't transferred me her share of anything yet and is not replying to messages.

Where do I stand if she doesn't pay her rent portion or council tax? 

Can I remove all her belongings legally? I was planning on boxing and bagging up and putting in the garage.

Also I've approached the Letting agency to try and get out of contract, where do I stand if the landlord says no?

If she's not longer resident then she is no longer liable for any council tax charge on the property whilst it is occupied by you.

Is she actually named on the tenancy as a joint tenant ? I've never heard of the tenancy being given in two names but only one party contracting to actually pay the rent.

• Like 1

From what you say, you are in fact the tenant at the property, your girlfriend moved in, and later she moved out again.

Do you have any legal documentation that indicates otherwise?

You should claim the Single occupier discount  (25%) off your council tax bill, I think that would be a much better idea than trying to get someone who does not live at the property to pay any bills relating to it. 

She also has no liability for energy bills once she has moved out, the energy company will not chase her for anything accrued after the move date, and probably not for ANY outstanding balance since you are the tenant.

Can you not find another house mate?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

If she's not longer resident then she is no longer liable for any council tax charge on the property whilst it is occupied by you.

Is she actually named on the tenancy as a joint tenant ? I've never heard of the tenancy being given in two names but only one party contracting to actually pay the rent.

She's named on the tenancy but I'm liable for all the rent, had to be that way to pass affordability check. 

As for the residency, that's where I don't know! She said she was going away for a week ( 2 weeks ago) . The rent is due in 3 days and although she has said she will still pay it, she hasn't transferred her portion into my account yet which she normal would have, and she's not replying to watsapp messages. 

She still has a large amount of belongings here so I don't think think she would be classed as moving out

Edited by workaholicandy
added a line

It is clear that you are responsible for all of the bills and would be as a joint tenant anyway. If you had done a runner and she was there then she would be responsible.

Now can you prove that she agreed to pay anything by way of a signed agreement? if not forget about recoevring anything other than by persuasion.

The belongings can sit there until the tenancy ends unless you get an agreement in the meanwhile.

• Like 1