MET NiP 35 in a 30 zone

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1748 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received notice of intended prosecution from met police for speeding (35 mph in 30 mph zone). 

There is a mention of section 1 of the road traffic offenders act 1988. 

The notice has the back page with form to fill in. 

The notice also states that I Could be fined up to £1000,  receive 6 penalty points or be disqualified from driving. 

However it also mentions that if I fill the information and send letter back in time (within 28 days) then I may be offered an educational course instead of paying fine and having penalty points on my driving licence.

I received this notice today (27th July 2019)  the date on the notice is 25th July 2019 and the day of event is 19th July 2019.

what are the chances of going for an educational course and also is 35 mph in 30 mph zone too serious that I get 6 penalty points on my licence?

I don't understand why the notice did not provide the photographic evidence?

• dx100uk changed the title to MET NiP 35 in a 30 zone

read the post by man in the middle

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I think that you are miss-reading the NIP. The penalties you are referring to are for a failure to reply, identifying the driver at the time of offence. This is separate from the original speeding offence.

At 35 in a 30 mph limit you are at the very bottom of the 'culpability' scale and provided that you have not attended a speed awareness course in the last 3 years (by your post it seems most unlikely that you have) this is the most likely outcome.

Get the form filled in and returned. Photocopy the completed form and send normal 1st with free signed for receipt at the Post Office.  

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

They didn't provide photographic evidence (or any other evidence) because they don't have to at this stage.

Only if it goes to court will you be provided with the evidence they intend to rely on to secure your conviction.

This will not go to court unless you allow it to either by requesting that it does or by neglecting to do what they request.

Reply naming yourself as the driver within the 28 days allowed.

Then accept and participate in the course that is almost certain to be offered.

The course will cost you around £100, but no points will be applied to your licence.

• Like 1

Little point that I always thought to be true but clearly isn't:

Isn't the allowance speed limit + 10% + 2mph?

Clearly not, otherwise the op would have not heard anything. 

So what's the official allowance?

don't think that applies below XX speed

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks every one the allowance will be an addition to my knowledge however sad to know that I got the NiP just for driving at extra 1 more mph.  Although they were behind me for at least 10 minutes of the duration I am sure they kept an eagle eye on me just to take the photo when I exceed the speed.  I am sure there probably is some funding to the force via educational courses they offer.

By the way I have sent the information in 1st normal with receipt and now looking forward to the offer of educational course.

sad to know that I got the NiP just for driving at extra 1 more mph

No, actually you received the NIP for exceeding the speed limit by 16%. I would advise you not to take the hard done by attitude to the speed awareness course if offered.

I am confused by the fact that you are now claiming that 'they were behind me for at least 10 minutes of the duration.' If this were so, I would have expected them to have stopped you and issued a verbal NIP but you have not mentioned this. Can you please clarify?

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

If they don't "stop you at 35 because they didn't stop you at 34", then why not 'allow' 36 because 35 has become accepted, and so on.

They have to "draw the line' somewhere, and 35 in a 30 is 1/6th over the speed limit. How much lattitude do you feel is right?

Also, if stopped by officers, raqther than caught by a camera, bear in mind that discretion also plays a part, as they can be influenced by the roads conditions such as: time of day, lighting, weather, other road users being present or not, and both your manner of driving, and responses when 'pulled'.

Although they were behind me for at least 10 minutes of the duration I am sure they kept an eagle eye on me just to take the photo when I exceed the speed. 

I'm also confused. I thought you had been detected by either a manned or unmanned camera. What makes you think they took a photograph when you exceeded the speed limit (or rather, the "allowance")? They have no need to do so. Incredible as it may seem, drivers were prosecuted for speeding before cameras were used to catch them.

The latest Awareness Course may teach you to keep an eye in your mirror for following police vehicles and keep to the limit rather than the allowance when you see one. The course I attended as an observer did not do so, but they may have changed it!   😂

• Thanks 1

I am not against the notice or the way I have been caught otherwise my way of raising the issue would also have been different.

I just got to know the allowance calc and got amazed that's all. 

Although I've also heard of the cases where PCs have misused their power.

Edited by rocky_sharma

Would you care to enlighten us about the new information you have revealed in post #8 concerning being followed?

Your comment in the final paragraph of post # 12 is unworthy.