CIS self assessment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1775 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Apologies in advance if I have posted in the wrong place..

Wondering if anyone could shed some light for me.

I'm self employed CIS have been for 5 years, having submitted my self assessment via my accountant 4 weeks ago with no refund or correspondence from HMRC I gave them a call to check progress, to be told I have been selected for a security check that would take another 8 weeks. My credit file shows that an identity check was performed by HMRC 3 weeks ago. Nothing to worry about just dont want it to drag on, anyone had this experience.

Thanks saff

Hopefully your accountant has provided all the information they want, it's what you pay them for.

I don't know how many people we have who are CIS workers, hopefully they will spot your thread if they can help.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi Saffy,

I doubt it's a "security check" and suggest this means either;-

i) You've been selected at random .......

OR

ii) You've been selected by a more focused process ......

...... and HMRC will look more closely at the accounts or figures you've submitted in your SA Tax Return  to 5/4/19.

They may asked your acct't for more details and/or documents to back up your declaration of income. However, as you're in the CIS deduction scheme, HMRC may be more interested in the expenses you've claimed as a deduction against income.

Ask your acct't to let you know when they hear from HMRC so they can tell you what direction the inquiry seems to be taking. Just be warned though, if HMRC are looking at your tax return and find "problems", your acct't may want to charge you up-front fees to deal with the inquiry.

Keep us posted please .........

:-)

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Depends on what sector you work in, they like to look at a number of people from certain categories on an almost rotating basis, one year it was just about every plumber in the country, then IT people and so forth.

Dont take it personally, they likemto try and shunt say all of the IT contractors into being employed rather than self employed so they get more tax and NI