Help with non satisfactory goods installation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1801 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. I’m trying to get some information on behalf of my partner’s dad. He recently purchased some granite worktops  from a company and he is less than satisfied with them after installation. He is a (now retired) time served bricklayer and has years of experience using a spirit level. He took great care to ensure that his kitchen units were perfectly level as well as the extra timber supports he has added. The granite company in question came to his house and measured. They had laser equipment and formed a template. They told him that they would try to cut out the hole for the hob without a break, but that it might be necessary to have a single join at the front and rear of the hob. 

Later, they telephoned him to say that it had broken during cutting as discussed so they couldn’t avoid a join. He accepted this. 

However, upon arriving and installing the worktop, they had actually cut it in two places at each side of the hob  front and rear. They had also not cut it to the right size and in his words “they were just braying it to get it in. They then had to cut the bridging pieces (front & rear of hob) shorter to make it fit. 

In doing so they chipped the edge of the front piece. 

They then jacked up one of his cupboards by extending the adjustable feet, despite the fact that it was perfectly level before. 

He has since placed a spirit level across the front of the hob and it rocks across the joint. This is a direct result of them raising the cupboard!  

Also, upon further inspection, he found a chip (albeit tiny but you can see and feel it). 

He has sent the supplier an email, initially only complaining about the chips. 

They asked him to send a photo which he did but they have not responded further. 

I really feel for him, as he has tried to talk himself into making do with it. Don’t get me wrong they are nice worktops. But the fact there are 4 joins around the hob alone to me seems very odd. 

He has handed over around £1800 and this has really spoiled what should have been a top end quality product. 

Some years ago I was able to phone up trading standards about a faulty product and received help with an FOS claim to successfully obtain a refund. 

However, as far as I’m aware that service is no longer available. 

What can he do to get something done about this? Ideally he should get a replacement but having read some poor reviews online that looks highly unlikely as the company is renowned to ignore complaints. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Redletter
Typing error

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Why has he gone ahead and paid the money when he believes that the quality of the work is not up to scratch?

Secondly, are the suppliers and installers the same people?

Thirdly, how long ago was the installation completed?

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Why has he gone ahead and paid the money when he believes that the quality of the work is not up to scratch?

Secondly, are the suppliers and installers the same people?

Thirdly, how long ago was the installation completed?

Thanks for your reply BF. Apparently they insisted  that the money had to be paid after they had measured up but before the cutting of the granite. 

That would have been against my better judgement but they said this was normal practice. 

Yes supplier was also installer. 

Installed on 31st May (2019). 

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Hi

Goods need to be as Described: 

Goods need to be fit for a Particular Purpose: 

Goods need to be of Satisfactory Quality

Services to be performed with Reasonable  Care and Skill: 

Service to be Performed within a Reasonable Timescale: 

Consumers Rights to Enforce Terms about Services: 

You sent the supplier an email about the issue. Question: did they get a 'Read Receipt' once that email was opened and did they follow the email up in writing referring to the email dated XX/XX/XXXX?

I would advise corresponding in writing only (ensuring to get free proof of posting from post office as you need to keep a good paper trail)

What does the Suppliers Terms & Conditions/Contract state about Installation?

Who is the Supplier? 

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Which company are we dealing with?

I suggest that you get to independent quotes for carrying out repairs or redoing the work then come back here

send them a letter stating that the installation isnt what was qioted and the workmanship is poor and that they have one chance of putting things right or you will get another company to replace the faulty worktop and bill them for the lot.

I had a stone worktop installed a few years back and the company managed to cut out the hole for the sink successfully and if they had damaged anything along the way it wouldnt have been accepted. By all menas pay a deposit but never pay upfront, that tells you a lot about the reputation of a company. If they cnat hold enough stock to make good a breakage and no stone supplier will give them credit to accout  for such a problem then why should you trust them?