The Power Of Nature.Wild Weather.Climate Change.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, buckthorn said:

I think a lot of the fires in Australia were set alight not by the weather

but arsonists.

There will always be arsonists, sadly.

From what I've read, their PM didn't want to take advice from fire experts on how to tackle fires in this, their summer. He didn't lease firefighting aircraft which are the most effective way of fighting forest fires or make any other plans.

The affected regions of Australia has had very little rainfall so once a fire takes off, it has tinder dry countryside to rip through.

Illegitimi non carborundum

More mainstream environmental groups have been added to the terrorist database. I find this scary - populists don't seem to believe in global warming and I think they're trying to close down debate.

How can Greenpeace et al be the same as neo-nazis?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/17/greenpeace-included-with-neo-nazis-on-uk-counter-terror-list

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steve Baker of the ERG and CRG has started arguing about the cost of tackling climate change.

Bafflingly, the other day he tweeted:

'Keir Starmer's comments about #NetZero remind us that he's part of the policymaking elite who have decided to make us poorer and colder.

Politicians need to level with the public about the scale of change needed in our lives so we don't have another political fiasco like Brexit.'

Who are the policymaking elite Keir Starmer is supposed to be one of? AFAIK he's never been in a position to make policy, it's the Tories who've been in power for the last 11 years.

Interesting article here on the arguments for and against the cost of 'net zero' and a mention for Steve Baker and his tweets last week.

WWW.BUSINESSGREEN.COM

The gathering campaign against the 'cost of net zero' is defined by straw men arguments, culture war tactics, and a fantastical refusal to engage with...

• I agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is slightly off topic. Aquind, a power company owned by  Ukranian who has donated £1m+ to the Tories, is meeting resistance in Normandy and Portsmouth over its proposed cable under the sea.

They want it to run through populated areas and beauty spots.

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Energy firm and director Alexander Temerko have given £1.1m between them to Conservatives

Interesting question about Temerko donating to Frech political parties, TJ.

The French press are aware of the UK donations but there's no mention of donations in France. Aquind seemes to be based in the UK so I don't know if it would be allowed.

• 2 weeks later...

I forget where I read it but someone has done projections of the UK's emissions if trade with the EU is replaced with longer routes to places like the anglosphere. It's logical. :classic_sad:

ETA: I'll have a look for the increased emissions figure, it was huge.