Employer sharing data re Trade Union membership?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2273 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear me.

Sorry. I can't keep replying to someone who keeps patronising me.

Something always happens to precipitate change. It never just occurs on its own. New keen boss, union blow up.. there is always something. But I no longer care what it is.

I suggest you find a new job as this one is indeed making you paranoid.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

With respect, if you keep asking me ‘what’s happened’ and I keep telling you that I’m genuinely not aware that anything has, What do you expect? You accuse me of being secretive and I’m just not. I’m stating it as it actually is, hence my suspicion / confusion.

if you have a large number of union members at you place of work then the reps shoud be telling your employer how strong the membership is and that any funny business will result in a show of force on this issue thatwill result in bad publicity for the employer.

If every member wants to hide away and dely their membership how do you expect the union to help you? "Unity is strength" as the banners say. So, your reps shopuld call a meeting and then get a mandate to tell the employers to get stuffed when it comes to this edict.

If the employers still doesnt back down start to take extra interest in everything health and safety wise and start asking for new safety boots, sight tests fro DSE working, glasses as a result of those eye tests, new ladders, overalls and so forth. get your sagfety reps to demand proper inspections and audits and so forth. You can shut down an engineering co by only using the supplied tools rather than anything from the workers own tool box. asbestos surveys were a good one a couple of decades back- not that you wouild ever use a saftey matter as leverage elsewhere, they are just coincidental issues you understand.

If the data collected is misused then there is plenty of precedent for claiming damages for this (remember the recentish settlement for breaches of the DPA by a number of large firms in the construction industry?) and no employer wants to be caught out like that.

As already said, it is on a list of things to keep the ICO happy, not a hit list that must be checked off until every one has been interfered with.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

So, so very helpful! Thank you for that.

Unfortunately I’m the only shop floor rep and I’m currently training to be a H&S rep.

Your post has helped me in so many ways.

Edited by dx100uk

EB has made some very valid points, but it’s worth remembering the flip side of the coin... there’s always two sides...

History is littered with companies that have failed because of the militant actions of unions.

If my staff starting working to rule, as suggested, I would accept that in the spirit it was intended - which is to hurt my business until I capitulate to their demands. My response? Remind them of their contractual obligations.... start and finish times, break times, smoking rules, use of mobile phones, sickness, notice periods for holiday etc... I’d be using the company disciplinary procedures to great effect, all within the confines of the law....

Ultimately, there are more potential employees than employers so it makes sense to be careful what you wish for...

companies dont fail because of the actions of unions, they fail because their management has failed to address the problems of the time. Yes, it is a two way street so if an employer wants to be a reasonable employer it wont allow matters to get to a point where even this local action gets taken. Would you tell your em,ployers they must obey some made up rule that breaches their human rights for example? If so then you will be looking fro trouble and will probably get a lot of other things wrong as well along the way.

Having a "them and us" style of management bounced back a few years ago but is dying off again for the same reasons it did before. You want to save money? then ask your staff to join a salary sacrifice scheme for their pension. Try and force them and get told where to go and attract the attention of HMRC to boot. Want to get people to think about their work and work proactively? dont clock watch.

Some people will always have 9-5 jobs that offer no way of climbing up Maslow's pyramid but any employer that relies on skills and initative to generate business has to use the right incentives. I dot know what busness the OP is in but clearly his management dont use much carrot with their stick or they would appreciate what makes people contented and inventing new rules that border on illegality wont help

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Hi

Have a look at this link: https://www.gov.uk/trade-union-recognition-employers/union-requests-recognition

Go to 'When the union requests recognition' have a wee read

ACAS link: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4018

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

With respect, if you keep asking me ‘what’s happened’ and I keep telling you that I’m genuinely not aware that anything has, What do you expect? You accuse me of being secretive and I’m just not. I’m stating it as it actually is, hence my suspicion / confusion.

You don't think "I'm the rep", which you omitted from earlier posts, is in any way relevant information? Because I do.

It leads to questions "how did they tell you" and "what does your branch office say about it" and "Is there anything you have been doing which is different" eg a lot more activity since you returned from sick leave perhaps? threatening to sue them for an accident? That kind of thing?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!