New tougher electrical safety standards to protect private tenants

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

New tougher electrical safety standards to protect private tenants

Recommended new safety measures to better protect private tenants have been published for consultation.

Recommended new safety measures to better protect private tenants by reducing the risk of electric shocks or fires caused by electrical faults were published for consultation today (17 February 2018) by Housing Minister Heather Wheeler.

Five yearly mandatory electrical installation safety checks for all private rented properties and safety certificates for tenants, to prove checks and repair work have been completed, are part of a package of independent recommendations to improve safety.

The government is also consulting on how best to enforce the strengthened safety regime along with whether landlords who do not comply should face tough penalties of up to £30,000.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-tougher-electrical-safety-standards-to-protect-private-tenants

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Most of the proposals are already in place.

5 years inspection and smoke alarms on every floor for example.

The only new thing i see is the punitive actions which can only be a good thing if it saves life.

To be honest, i have seen rented places with wiring that would make a 1960 electrician concerned.

No change for normal landlords who already have their electrical system checked and approved every 5 years.

One thing that could go a step better is to have all appliances supplied by LL PAT tested which is not required now.

PAT testing is basically useless under this sort of circumstance as anything hard wired like an oven or the boiler will already be covered by current regs and portable items are not going to be supplied by LL anywhere other then a HMO and even then it is not going to solve any problems as things like washing machines and fridges dont burst into flames because of electrical problems but from a build up of dust in heaters. compressors etc. Simplest thing is RCD and most modern properties have that already and a checklist for tenants that include cleaning filters etc as well as cutting the grass outside