Ex partner withholding my belongings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2592 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I moved out of my ex-partners home in April 2016. I had lived there since October 2012 and had contributed to the cost of running the home. I inherited some money when my Mother passed away in November 2012 and subsequently paid for holidays and to have the house redecorated and refurnished the living room.

When I left I requested some of the furniture back as it was bought with my inheritance, I also requested some things that belonged to my Mother.

My ex partner initially stated that he would return the items.......he actually stated he would put them on his front garden for me to collect.

This went on for several weeks and, although I have some of my personal belongings he still has my furniture and my Mothers belongings and some of my own personal things such as DVD's etc.

I would like advise on where I stand with this please. I have bank statements to show I paid X amount to the furniture companies, however, this does not state what I purchased.

I must add that following a period of asking me to return, which I refused, he became very nasty via texts and emails ( I have kept email evidence).

I think I got to the point where I was exhausted with it all, however, I feel an injustice as I spent thousands of pounds and they are reminders of my Mum.

TIA

Mackem67

You need to put your request for the items to be returned in writing and sent by post recorded delivery. List out the items and the reason why you lay claim to them and give a date for contact to be made by your ex to you or the matter will be escalated through legal means. If he/she doesn't contact you to arrange a handover I'd suggest reporting it as theft to the Police, perhaps a visit from them will spur your ex into handing your belongings back.

Thank you for that. Am I able to do this even though I have no proof of purchase for items, only bank statements to state I spent x amount in ......shop?

As a layman I would suggest that your ex may well have no idea that you have no invoices, even so bank statements may well suffice if things go legal. However, the fact that you used an inheritance to purchase the items is not really relevent. You purchased the items when you had the money..Would you feel differently if it had been purchased with an annual salary bonus or a betting win.

Your mothers "heirlooms" are a different thing altogether and are certainly worth perusing.

I would try a low key approach initially by letter as suggested above but with a final sentence saying that you really do hope that it can be resolved without your needing to advise the police of theft of your property.

Do you actually want the furniture and CDs or would you accept a cash offer from him/her?

As above, don't mention you don't have receipts, that is irrelevant and giving out too much information will only make life difficult. Send the letter, recorded delivery, express what you want, why you consider it to be yours and that you hope it will be resolvable without the need to escalate through legal means - Do not mention you will report him/her for theft, save that in your armory for later and do it as a surprise, otherwise your belongings will go missing - no evidence for Plod to act on means no crime and no return of your items.

You need to put your request for the items to be returned in writing and sent by post recorded delivery. List out the items and the reason why you lay claim to them and give a date for contact to be made by your ex to you or the matter will be escalated through legal means. If he/she doesn't contact you to arrange a handover I'd suggest reporting it as theft to the Police, perhaps a visit from them will spur your ex into handing your belongings back.

Sorry but the police would not be interested at all. Its a civil issue.

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Disagree, the person's belonging are being held and not made available for collection or handed over, that is theft by definition of depriving someone of their belongings. Police will have to act if it is reported as theft.