Slander at Work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I would like some more information about taking action against a Director of a Limited Company (a self-employed contractor) for Slander.

It is my understanding that "Slander occurs where someone tells one or more people an untruth about another which will harm the reputation of the person named. "

I also understand that loss or damage does not have to be proven "if there has been any statement intended to disparage an individual in his office, profession, trade, calling or business."

1. Is this correct? (I can prove both the slander and the subsequent damage without doubt)

2. At what point do I need to appoint a solicitor? what kind of solicitor do I need to look for?

3. Presumably there is some kind of notice I have to send to give notice of this action?

Thanks very much

(PM preferred but any response appreciated)

Remember that you have to seek a remedy outside of a court, not just issue a court claim, as otherwise you risk losing and paying the other sides legal costs.

I would suggest that you provide a little more information about the general circumstances, so people can comment.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hello there.

We don't give advice by PM, it's best for various reasons to keep things on the public thread.

If you're talking about a defamation case, you could be talking in terms of 10000 in fees.

HB

^^^^ This.

Access to the courts for defamation is beyond the pockets off the ordinary folk. If need to be concerned about the alleged loss that some small fry person might have cost you, then you can't afford the costs of a defamation case. Assuming you have one. If the courts were dealing with every untruth that one person said about another, then they would have waiting lists a hundred miles long. Such cases , along with negligent misstatement, also get very messy - truth or opinion often being relevant defences, and the attention such cases might bring often do more damage to the plaintiff. Certainly, more people get to hear the comments!

Hello,

I would like some more information about taking action against a Director of a Limited Company (a self-employed contractor) for Slander.

It is my understanding that "Slander occurs where someone tells one or more people an untruth about another which will harm the reputation of the person named. "

I also understand that loss or damage does not have to be proven "if there has been any statement intended to disparage an individual in his office, profession, trade, calling or business."

1. Is this correct? (I can prove both the slander and the subsequent damage without doubt)

2. At what point do I need to appoint a solicitor? what kind of solicitor do I need to look for?

3. Presumably there is some kind of notice I have to send to give notice of this action?

Thanks very much

(PM preferred but any response appreciated)

Try and speak to a Solicitor, if you don't get any in support then you, mostly likely don't have a case.

Defamation cases are very expensive hence most people (including solicitors) stir clear.

Also if you don't have solid proof the Director made the statement then you are on thin ice,

Most people would simply say "I have no recollection of saying such".

The difficulty you face is that defamation (including slander) claims can generally only be brought in the High Court, not in the county courts.

You may find a claim like this is not eligible for small claims track, hence you will be hit with the defendant's full legal costs if you lose the case (including if you mess up the technicalities of running your claim properly).

I would have thought it is only worth pursuing if you can prove it and have suffered real, quantifiable loss. I would speak to a solicitor before doing anything.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS