TalkTalk Cancellation Woe ***Resolved***

Vauban
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Been a customer with TalkTalk for a fair few years, and have three phone contracts with them. One of these expires next month, and I've decided is surplus to requirements. Though I would get in touch today to let them know I won't needed it renewing. Well that proved to be harder than I anticipated ...

My complaint below, and the online chat exchange with Sharon, gives all the details.

Sir/Madam,

I contacted TalkTalk this morning via online chat to give notice that, when my mobile contact for sim 07xxx xxxxxx expires next month (18th March), I do not wish for it to be renewed.

The TalkTalk representative however was unwilling to accept this notification, and said that I would have to call back in four days time. Otherwise, if the request was processed, I should be liable for early termination fees. As a busy professional, I do not have time to chase this up again and do not understand why you are insisting I should. Your terms and conditions stipulate that I need to give 30 days' notice of my decision, and I am giving 34 days. The exchange is reproduced below.

My suspicion is that insist on this because some people will not call you exactly on the thirtieth day, and you can then charge for an extra month. I hope this is not the case.

Regardless, I wish to:

a) complain about the unhelpful experience I received today; and

b) formally put you on notice, again, that when my contract expires next month then I do not require it to self-renew and expect it to cease.

I have been a loyal TalkTalk customer for a good many years, but my experience this morning has done nothing to endear me to your company.

Yours,

Me

TRANSCRIPT

Info at 9:28, Feb 12:

You are now through to Sharon. How can I help you?

Me at 9:28, Feb 12:

I would like to cancel one of my phone contracts please

Me at 9:28, Feb 12:

Contract ends next month

Sharon at 9:28, Feb 12:

Hi, Martin.

Sharon at 9:28, Feb 12:

I am sorry to hear that, however I will assist you with regards to the cancellation.

Me at 9:29, Feb 12:

Thank you

Me at 9:29, Feb 12:

The number I am cancelling is 07xxx xxxxxx

Sharon at 9:30, Feb 12:

May I ask the main reason you are looking to cancel your account.

Me at 9:31, Feb 12:

Because I no longer need this phone; I would like to keep the other two accounts live though

Sharon at 9:32, Feb 12:

Okay.

Sharon at 9:32, Feb 12:

Is there any one at home that can use the SIM?

Me at 9:33, Feb 12:

The contract expires next month and I would like to cancel it for then - is that a problem?

Sharon at 9:34, Feb 12:

We need 30 days notice to cancel your account.

Sharon at 9:35, Feb 12:

Your TalkTalk mobile services will be cancelled thirty days from today, and you’ll continue to be billed until this time. Once they’re cancelled on 14th March you won’t be able to use your SIM anymore.

Sharon at 9:35, Feb 12:

You’ll get your final bill as normal may contain an early termination fee, which is determined by the length of your remaining contract. Any subsequent bill will confirm any remaining credits or balance owed. You’ll lose your mobile number. Please don’t cancel your Direct Debit. We’ll do this for you once your final payment has been taken. If you cancel it, you might incur a fee. These changes will be reflected in My Account within 48 hours.

Me at 9:35, Feb 12:

Well then I would like to give notice that this be cancelled at the end of the contract - on the 18 March

Me at 9:36, Feb 12:

That's 34 days notice!

Me at 9:36, Feb 12:

I don't expect to pay any fees.

Sharon at 9:37, Feb 12:

You will need to contact after 4 days from today.

Sharon at 9:37, Feb 12:

That will be the 16th February 2017.

Me at 9:37, Feb 12:

I don't understand - I am giving you notice that I want to leave on the 18th March. I should not have to contact you again on the 16th.

Me at 9:38, Feb 12:

If you cannot process this simple request, please put my through to your supervisor.

Sharon at 9:38, Feb 12:

The system does not allow to choose a specific date, Martin.

Me at 9:39, Feb 12:

Then please be advised that when my contract expires I do not wish for it to be continued.

Sharon at 9:39, Feb 12:

I can log a formal complaint for you and a manager will contact you within 24 to 48 hours to discuss the issue.

Sharon at 9:39, Feb 12:

We need 30 days notice to cancel your account.

Me at 9:39, Feb 12:

I am giving you more than 30 days notice

Sharon at 9:40, Feb 12:

Okay.

Sharon at 9:40, Feb 12:

Your TalkTalk mobile services will be cancelled thirty days from today, and you’ll continue to be billed until this time. Once they’re cancelled on 14th March you won’t be able to use your SIM anymore. You’ll get your final bill as normal may contain an early termination fee, which is determined by the length of your remaining contract. Any subsequent bill will confirm any remaining credits or balance owed. You’ll lose your mobile number. Please don’t cancel your Direct Debit. We’ll do this for you once your final payment has been taken. If you cancel it, you might incur a fee. These changes will be reflected in My Account within 48 hours.

Me at 9:40, Feb 12:

It is absurd if you say that I must call you exactly and only o the 30th day before

Me at 9:41, Feb 12:

I would like your confirmation that there will be no "early termination fee"

Me at 9:41, Feb 12:

As I am not terminating early - just asking my contract not to be renewed.

Sharon at 9:41, Feb 12:

I am sorry, Martin. however you will be liable for the days remaining on your contract.

Me at 9:42, Feb 12:

That is not acceptable to me.

Sharon at 9:42, Feb 12:

I will log a formal complaint for you to escalate the issue.

Me at 9:42, Feb 12:

Thank you. This is very poor indeed.

Me at 9:43, Feb 12:

What I am asking for is not difficult - to leave contract at the end of its expiry next month.

Me at 9:43, Feb 12:

Please record that I have asked for this, and you have said it is not possible.

Sharon at 9:45, Feb 12:

I have advised that as you have contacted us today to cancel your account, I can place a cancellation for you on the 14th March which is 30 days from today. However you will be liable for the days remaining on your contract.

Sharon at 9:45, Feb 12:

Should you dispute this, I will log a formal complaint for you to escalate the issue.

Me at 9:46, Feb 12:

I have asked clearly for the contract to be cancelled when it expires next month. I should have no liability for that.

Me at 9:47, Feb 12:

You are making this needlessly difficult.

Me at 9:48, Feb 12:

If you cannot process this request (and it is unclear why you are unable to do so) please ask a manager to get in touch with me. I will also engage TalkTalk on twitter to make my concerns clear.

I didn't think this was such a difficult request, but it feels like I slipped down the rabbit hole! I assume this whole process, where you can only give notice exactly thirty days before the contract ends and not a day before and after, is so they can charge you for an extra month at the end of the contract. Pretty poor show, in my humble opinion!

It is ridiculous that they can't take more than 30 days notice.

They are entitled to insist on no less than 30 days notice, fair enough.

I doubt "30 days notice" can be construed to mean "can't give more than 30 days notice", though.

Are the other lines on the same direct debit?.

If not I would cancel the DD if you are happy to make a separate payment to cover any part month line rental and call charges in arrears.

If you can't cancel the DD then you might have to pay what they bill and claim back any overcharge.

I had the same with Virgin mobile. They wouldn't cancel at more than 30 days. They would, however, agree more than 30 days in advance to convert the SIM from contract to PAYG as soon as the minimum term was up.

I agreed this, and just never topped up or used the SIM that had become PAYG!

Same effect as "cancelling", just by a different route, and one that makes them feel they have "prevented a cancellation".

Do TalkTalk do a PAYG? Would this be a solution?

IF you haven't already and you feel unhappy enough to do so - dido.harding@talktalkplc.com

Send it there

Many thanks. Copied my complaint to the CEOs office and got a call the following day. Resolved swiftly (as it should have been).

Talk talk saye the problem is their systems don't allow for the customer to offer notice more than 30 days out from end of contract. But as they require at least 30 days notice, this seems to be to be a nice little earner - with everyone paying for an extra months extension unless they remember to cancel EXACTLY 30 days before end of contract.

Well done Vauban...result.

Thread title amended to reflect the outcome.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread