Help, I have been switched supplier without my knowledge Extra Energy/BGAS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello folk,

On the 22nd of August I received an email from extra energy sending me my "final" electricity bill, which included a £25 fee for exiting the tariff before it expired.

I called Extra Energy and they told me that my supply had been taken over by British Gas and that I should speak to them about it. The operator at Extra Energy wasn't very helpful although I did tell him that I did not want to change supplier.

Reality is I would not be a BG customer even if they were the cheapest in the market, I had a very bad experience with them in the 90s and there is no way I would ever consider them again.

Since I did not ask to be supplied by British gas, not even knowing what tariff I am on, as I have not yet received any correspondence form them, would I be in my rights not to pay their bill if they sent me one?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to have free electricity, in fact I have opened a separate savings account and instructed my bank to transfer £70.00 every month to it, just in case I get a nasty surprise.

With Extra Energy my tariff was Bright fixed price January 2017, which is less expensive than BG standard, so if I do get a bill from BG can I recalculate the figures using EE's rates?

Last but not least, can I sue BG for taking over the suplly without my say so?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

They can't switch you without you consenting and charge you for exiting tariff before expiry.

There is a process to be gone through before the switch can apply.

Suggest you make a formal complaint in writing to Extra Energy and send a copy to British Gas. Make it clear that you did not ask for any switch from Extra Energy to British Gas and do not consent to this Switch.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

This sounds like you have been 'slammed'.

Extra Energy should be doing more to help you stay with them as they are quite able to block a transfer.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't received any correspondence from BG however, they should have some idea of who you are so a dual approach is needed.

The first thing is to complain to Extra Energy for allowing the transfer to go ahead after you have told them you do not want to leave.

The next thing to do is complain to BG for taking over a supply without your permission. This may be difficult if you don't have an account number.

It is likely both companies will reject your complaints and that is where the Energy Ombudsman will become involved (if you choose to involve them)

Keep an eye on your credit file (just in case).

Have you in the last few weeks been contacted by anyone offering a new supply, even if you have categorically stated no? Have you signed anything even if the person asking said that it was just to confirm they have spoken to you? These things are important so we can find out where they got your details from. Perhaps an agency has phoned you pretending to do a survey but intending to get your details in order to get commission from BG.

• Confused 1

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

They can't switch you without you consenting and charge you for exiting tariff before expiry.

There is a process to be gone through before the switch can apply.

Suggest you make a formal complaint in writing to Extra Energy and send a copy to British Gas. Make it clear that you did not ask for any switch from Extra Energy to British Gas and do not consent to this Switch.

Would an email do or should I send a snail mail (recorded delivery of course) or both?

Hi

This sounds like you have been 'slammed'.

Have you in the last few weeks been contacted by anyone offering a new supply, even if you have categorically stated no? Have you signed anything even if the person asking said that it was just to confirm they have spoken to you? These things are important so we can find out where they got your details from. Perhaps an agency has phoned you pretending to do a survey but intending to get your details in order to get commission from BG.

I have spoken to nobody about switching supplier, although I did do a price comparison using the one at Which?

I have not given my precise address, just the postcode, and since I prefer to pay via monthly direct debit I have not given details of my bank account, as if I would on line like!

Would an email do or should I send a snail mail (recorded delivery of course) or both?

Both! Nice to see CAG's advice is paying off in regard to recorded delivery.

Please ensure the complaint letter is headed Formal Complaint. You would be surprised at how many people don't do this and end up with it being treated as a query (where they can take as long as they like) instead of a complaint (8 weeks to resolve)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Do you own this house that is supplied or are you a tennant ?

If a tennant, could the owner have requested a change of supplier for whatever reason ?

Extra Energy are the most complained about energy company.

Send email complaints first and see how you get on.

Extra Energy

http://www.extraenergy.com/home/faq/complaints

CEO email

Moti@ExtraEnergy.com

British Gas

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/contactus-personal-details/complaints/dealing-with-your-complaints.html

Managing Director email

mark.hodges@britishgas.co.uk

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Do you own this house that is supplied or are you a tennant ?

If a tennant, could the owner have requested a change of supplier for whatever reason ?

Extra Energy are the most complained about energy company.

Send email complaints first and see how you get on.

It's my house and I lived here for the past 28 years

Trying to understand how it happened.

I think it is probably a mistake, rather than some sales agent trying to obtain a commission.

You should have had previous communications from both companies as part of the process. When i have switched a few times, i have received various letters explaining the process and details of new contract etc.

My bet is that Extra Energy cancelled your account in error by entering your account instead of another customers. The other customer of theirs is going to British Gas and will have received a welcome letter from BG etc. I bet if you checked the final statement, that the meter reading has nothing to do with your meter.

This is the only explanation, given the one letter received.

British Gas will be scratching their heads, as they have never had any contact with you or from Extra Energy.

My bet is that Extra Energy cancelled your account in error by entering your account instead of another customers. The other customer of theirs is going to British Gas and will have received a welcome letter from BG etc. I bet if you checked the final statement, that the meter reading has nothing to do with your meter.

This is the only explanation, given the one letter received.

British Gas will be scratching their heads, as they have never had any contact with you or from Extra Energy.

The meter reading is short of 1500 Kw, but it was their estimate, as I received the notification I sent them the proper meter reading but they haven't update the bill, which was in their interest!

As far as moving from Extra Energy to British Gas, unless somebody was really upset with EE, it's a crazy move, my yearly spend with EE is about £1,100.00, the cheapest tariff with BG would see me fork out close to £1,500.00

Edited by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge
mispelling

best line of action here is to complain to BG that it's an erroneous transfer, they'll initiate the switch back and EE should put you on the previous tariff. It sounds as if it was too late for EE to stop the transfer if the final bill and charge had been applied

best line of action here is to complain to BG that it's an erroneous transfer, they'll initiate the switch back and EE should put you on the previous tariff. It sounds as if it was too late for EE to stop the transfer if the final bill and charge had been applied

I don't think BG knows anything about this, as the OP has had no letters from them.

Sound like an EE mistake.

Extra Energy wouldn't be able to close the account and transfer the supply to British Gas without receiving industry data flows transferring the supply. Could perhaps be that BG have got the wrong MPAN, therefore moving the op's supply. If they'd got the wrong mpan associated with the wrong address, the letters would go to the address of the supply they think they're taking