default Notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have spotted an old default notice for a a very small amount, this defult is 5 years old. I have spoken to the debt colleciton company and apparently this is for a BT bill. I never received the notice and I am sure this was sent to my address after I moved out. The debt collection company says the default notice is valid even though it went to an old addres as it was my responsibility to advise BT of the new address. I did say if I had moved out and though my bill was settled why would I tell them my new address.

Can I get this default removed?

Very unlikely. But it will soon drop off your file anyway

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I would leave well alone. By contacting the debt collector you have already notified them of your new address and you may inadvertently re-set the 6 year clock for them to start chasing you.

After 6 years a debt becomes ' statute barred ' which means they can no longer sue you in court, it does not mean mean that they cannot continue to write to you asking for payment.

As for your credit file, anything over 3 years ago is ignored by most creditors. You will find that you can see old debts going back 6 years , but a lender does not see that information. They see your current score, your borrowings and your payment history. They then work out if you are likely to be a good or bad risk.

You can only reset the statute of limitations by making a payment or offering a payment plan etc in writing by way of admitting the debt. Asking for an agreement copy of proof of the debt will not reset that clock

Creditors can go back to any time with a live account and see if any accounts are marked delinquent, arrangement to pay etc and payment history of those accounts.

The information will be even avaliable up to six years after the account is closed as well

Edited by obiter dictum