Help to Buy Isa scandal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Government’s much vaunted Help to Buy Isa was on Friday described as a “scandal” after it emerged that first-time buyers will not be able to use it for an initial deposit on their new home.

More than 500,000 savers have opened the accounts after being told by George Osborne, the former chancellor, that it provided “direct government support” for those saving for a deposit, as a way of getting “Generation Rent” on to the housing ladder.

But on Friday it emerged that a flaw in the scheme means a 25 per cent government “bonus” on savings will not be paid out until the sale has completed.

READ MORE HERE: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/19/help-to-buy-isa-scandal-500000-first-time-buyers-told-scheme-can/

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Pathetic terms of 'their home', 'get on the housing ladder' to lure people into hanging a millstone of debt around their neck.

'Ladder' implies prices always go up - they don't!

The house is not yours it is the banks - they own it not you. You have to pay the council tax, bills and upkeep for the bankster owner and if you don't they kick you out on the street - is it your home if that can happen! It is like supermarket special offers or furniture 'sales'. Enticement.

It still has to be better to buy your own home

The alternative is to rent forever, With the likely hood of having to move from time to time

I pay less now for my mortgage than i did rent before, And i only took my mortgage over 18 years

So in 15 years I will own this house outright, That has to be better than renting ?

As for house prices going down as well as up, I don't care, I will never be selling

ssett, IMO 'housing ladder' refers to being able to expand if nec (more rooms for future children/work etc) & downsizing as required.

A mortgage is a regulated Consumer debt that needs to be satisfied within the Term or when demanded.

The buyer 'owns' the Property but Lender puts a 'charge' on the property to protect their loan if property sold.

Any 'free' money from Govt likely comes with 'strings'. ISA's can be transferred between Providers, so the Lender, likely a Provider, may be able to offset ISA against deposit until Sale completes & Govt coughs up the bonus.

Similarly prospective owner can take out a short-term loan for deposit, to be paid off when ISA 'cashed in'.

One such ISA saver on TV news today was contemplating paying deposit via interest free CC.

Not that I recommend any particular approach, other than 'thinking outside the box' for a solution.

Govt is unlikely to bring their flagship Policy into disrepute and may change the rules.