Neighbour won't return my property

superg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2795 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Every one

I am Not sure what to do and i am looking for your advice on what i should do here is the story

In July 2014 I borrowed a neighbour a tool set for the day and i asked him many times to return it but he said he hasn't finished with it that was a few months after he borrowed it.

Then he stopped speaking to me now the other day my partner asked him to return it and he said he did not have it or not sure where it is, or some one he let in house stole it ( I do not think heis telling the truth and think he wants to keep my tools )

I was going to leave it at that and not bother with him. but the tools hold sentimental value as my late farther bought them for me and i borrowed them to him in good faith.

I know this person has stolen tools from work colleagues before as he told me he did when he worked in a garage.

i was thinking on just going to the shop where tools were bought and sending him a bill for a new set and if he did not pay after bill take him to small claims court. but i do not know if this would be good option.

I think its theft but not sure what do you people think

Thanks for any advice

Hello Every one

I am Not sure what to do and i am looking for your advice on what i should do here is the story

In July 2014 I borrowed a neighbour a tool set for the day and i asked him many times to return it but he said he hasn't finished with it that was a few months after he borrowed it.

Then he stopped speaking to me now the other day my partner asked him to return it and he said he did not have it or not sure where it is, or some one he let in house stole it ( I do not think heis telling the truth and think he wants to keep my tools )

I was going to leave it at that and not bother with him. but the tools hold sentimental value as my late farther bought them for me and i borrowed them to him in good faith.

I know this person has stolen tools from work colleagues before as he told me he did when he worked in a garage.

i was thinking on just going to the shop where tools were bought and sending him a bill for a new set and if he did not pay after bill take him to small claims court. but i do not know if this would be good option.

I think its theft but not sure what do you people think

Thanks for any advice

To prove theft by him you have to show that he has them (or disposed of them), rather than they were stolen from him.

So, unless you can show that, it isn't provable theft, regardless of your suspicions.

However, he is liable to replace them or pay you for them, if they were lost or taken from his care.

• 1 month later...

Hi Thank you for taking time to reply

Not sure what next port of call would be i was considering a bill letter maybe giving the person 30 days before action but i need to find exact set.

if the tools say cost £30 does any one know what charges i can add on at fist i intend to just ask for replacement but after the time is up.

i wont pay fees but no idea if you can charge them or not or interest as this has been going on since 2014 I am having issues as i do not like the person Thank you for any help

Charges aren't added until you start incurring them.. eg if you were to issue a claim against your neighbour.

What type of tools are they and if you loaned them to the neighbour in 2014, when did you start asking for their return ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I guess your first move would be to write a letter to your neighbour - point out that the tools were loaned on the understanding they were returned.

You either want the tools returned, intact, undamaged by DATE or the replacement value of £amount. Failing which you will issue a claim via the County Court with out further reference to the neighbour.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D