laptop issues - Acer Aspire E17 ES1-711-P3LV

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We purchased a laptop from John Lewis 11 months ago, in the last two months we have had issues with the laptop ranging from failed connection to e-mail, slow loading, internet connection being lost where we have to re-connect, John Lewis gave us a link to follow and try to fix the problems but to no avail, we have search on line and have found this is a common problem with this laptop and a lot of complaints have surfaced. We now want a refund so we can replace it, but John Lewis are telling us we have to have it repaired but it could take up to 28 days to do the repairs, we can not do with out the laptop for more than 24 hours, can anyone help

I'm afraid that I think that there is very little you can do.

John Lewis is certainly correct that you would have to accept a repair. Frankly I think that 28 days is excessive but if you decide to try and make trouble about it you probably won't manage to achieve any solution before the expiry of 28 days.

I think that the best you can do is to return the computer for repair and also write a letter to John Lewis and tell them that you object to the 28 day period but you feel that you have no choice. Warn them that if it takes any longer than 28 days then you will consider taking action against them.

I don't know what John Lewis are like – but of course it won't be them, it will be the repairers. We get lots of reports of people putting their computers in for repair and then the delay goes on and on and on. I think one thing that you can do is to make sure that it doesn't get out of hand. This means that the moment that the repair deadline expires and you don't have your computer back, that you issue a warning to John Lewis that you will take action. Essentially this means that you will take a County Court action. Only make this threat if you intend to go through with it. However, be careful about being dragged into repair deadlines which are constantly extended.

The other thing I have to say is the kind of problem that you are describing seems to me to be the kind of problem will be difficult to identify and difficult to locate. I'm no computer expert, but my instinct tells me that there is a strong likelihood that the computer will be returned to and that within a short time it will fail again with broadly the same problem. If this happens, you can then start to become a bit more assertive as to what you want from John Lewis. I hope that I'm wrong, but if I'm right then come back here.

Incidentally, please can you tell us about the make and model number of the laptop. This will help others.