Faulty washing machine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2857 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I bought an indesit washing machine online from Curry's I was working away from home for a month so didn't use it for the first month. When I first used it all seemed fine until I went back a day later and there was a puddle in the bottom of the drum. I have had 2 engineers out and the fault is still there. I contacted currys who said as it was older than 30 days they couldn't give me a refund unless an engineer rights it off as faulty.

I am now waiting till 5th August for a third engineer to come out and "fix this". Does anyone know my rights? The machine was bought on 16th April 2016.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I bought an indesit washing machine online from Curry's I was working away from home for a month so didn't use it for the first month. When I first used it all seemed fine until I went back a day later and there was a puddle in the bottom of the drum. I have had 2 engineers out and the fault is still there. I contacted currys who said as it was older than 30 days they couldn't give me a refund unless an engineer rights it off as faulty.

I am now waiting till 5th August for a third engineer to come out and "fix this". Does anyone know my rights? The machine was bought on 16th April 2016.

Thanks in advance.

Your contract for the washing machine is subject to the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Because you are making your complaint after 30 days, you have lost the "short-term right to reject". You now have within six months, the obligation to provide the supplier at least one opportunity to repair the goods, after which if the repair fails, you have the right to reject the goods and to claim a refund. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?448221-20-Right-to-reject

Unfortunately, you are dealing with Currys. We have lots of complaints here about Currys and they don't seem to be very up on their consumer law and they don't seem to be very keen on providing a customer facing service.

I have no idea what Currys mean by "writing it off as faulty". This seems to suggest that Currys believe that they only have to give you a refund if the fault is very serious. This is wrong.

Have they agreed that there is some kind of fault? What their engineers say? Do you have anything in writing?

I think that you should write to Currys immediately and complain to them that both of their engineers found that there was some kind of fault and that on this basis you are exercising your final right to reject under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If you have evidence from an engineer that he thought the machine was faulty then you can simply tell Currys to take it away and give you your refund. On the other hand, if you have no evidence at all then I suggest that it might be easier to tell Currys that there is still a fault and that they must send somebody round. This time, get the engineer to sign something saying that he did find a fault. If necessary, you can even use a recorder to record some conversation – without letting anyone know, of course.

I know that this all sounds like cloak and dagger stuff, but where you get a big company like Currys who are doing whatever they can to avoid their legal responsibilities, then these are the kind of measures that you need to take.

Thank you so much your reply is very helpful indeed. The first engineer repaired some sort of plug from the top of the machine thinking it was an electrical fault. The second egineer changed the washers. I have the reciept from both jobs. Now they have offered a third egineer who cannot come till the 5th August.

I am going to take your advice and write to them immediatley.

Thank you for your help.

speak to your bank and start a recharge to the card you used to buy it. They have had ample opportunity to sort the problem out. Write to their HO and let them know that because they have failed twice to mend it you want either a new one or a refund. Dont let this stop you from doing the rechage though, you can cancel that when your new machine arrives if need be

speak to your bank and start a recharge to the card you used to buy it. They have had ample opportunity to sort the problem out. Write to their HO and let them know that because they have failed twice to mend it you want either a new one or a refund. Dont let this stop you from doing the rechage though, you can cancel that when your new machine arrives if need be

Thank you so much for your reply I will contact the bank.This site is fab! Both of you have been so helpful thanks x