Powergen - excessive bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6385 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Hope you can help re a recent gas bill we have received from Powergen....for £587.00!!!

After getting over the initial shock, I emailed Powergen to ask what was going on (in cases like this I prefer to have all correspondance written down just in case).

I told them that I had paid all my bills on time, and I couldn't understand why my bill was so high for just 3 months. I was told that after receiving my recent meter reading, there were some previous estimated bills they felt they had underestimated and therefore were simply 'making up the difference'. I lodged an official complaint and got £100 taken off the bill but I'm still reluctant to pay it.

I asked why I was being punished for their poor service - we have been at our current address for nearly 4 years and in that time, they have asked for meter readings on 2 occasions. Other times, I have submitted accurate meter readings online through their website but to be honest, their website is a load of tosh and lets me log in as and when it decides - I give up using it in the end.

I asked why if they thought they had not had enough accurate meter readings, why they persisted in using estimated readings. Why did they not contact me to arrange accurate readings. I was told they did not have to do this.

is there anything I can do? I want to content this but don't really know if I have grounds to do so.

Thanks in advance.

if the meter reading and bill are now correct then there is nothing to contest, you can ask them to pay it over a number of months because providing they get their money they should be fine.

This happend to me allthough it was only £200 the problem is they dont read the meters they just guess what you use. Then when they finally do read the meter there is a shortfall.

It is interesting that you got some taken off, I might try that :)

The best thing to do is read your meter monthly and you can put the reading in to thier website, it takes 2 mins :D

NatWest

Data Protection Act Letter - 06/08/2006

Statements rec'd 14/9/2006

Preliminary Letter sent - 27/9/06

LBA - 18/10/06

Claim with Court - 31/10/2006

Got until 14/11/06 to acknowledge.

7/11/06 Received ltr offering full settlement minus

interest + court costs

12/11/06 - Rejection sent

17/11/6006 - Natwest Acknowledged

4/12/06 - Rec'd Natwest Def (Cobbetts)

5/1206 - Rec'd partial offer (Cobbetts)

THE WOOLWICH

Data Protection Act Letter - 06/08/2006

List of charges rec'd - 04/9/2006

Prelimary Letter sent - 06/09/2006

Response - 'fully investigating' - 11/09/2006

Claim with Court - 20/10/06

Acknowledged - 20/10/2006

Defence by 17/11/2006

AQ to be returned - 11/12/2006

Court Date - 14/02/2007

**SETTLED IN FULL**

CAPITAL ONE

**SETTLED IN FULL** 3/11/06

I guess that Powergen, like so many other 'utilities', don't really know too much about what's going on in the real world and use the 'guesstimate' method all too easily.

I read yesterday in a daily newspaper that they were taking someone to court over an unpaid bill for....wait for it.... £0.00!!!

Quite honestly, if it happened to me I'd let them take me there and then explain to the judge how I was expected to pay the amount. I'm not at all sure how my bank would react to a cheque for £0.00 being presented for payment either!

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!