@lgmobileuk @AmazonHelp LG not honouring warranty for mobile bought from Amazon UK

arts99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I will really appreciate your guidance, suggestions and help please.

Bought LG G3 phone in June last year from amazon.co.uk for £234.93

(Sold by FRElectronics:Fulfilled by Amazon)

and paid by Capital One credit card,

it came with a 2 years warranty.

I use all my things very carefully and was very careful with the phone;

within a couple of months noticed that it overheated every now and then

and upon searching online saw it was a common problem with LG G3

but as the phone was at least operational I kept on using it.

Earlier this year the screen became yellow at one spot on left side

and it seemed that it was also a common problem,

I contacted LG support and they said it will have to be inspected at their service centre

and since I was out of the country at that time I thought when I will return to UK

I will get it checked by them since the warranty is valid till June 2017.

Last month it stopped working just like that,

I had put it on for charging and later on when checked it won’t work

and showed blue screen and sometimes even the blue screen didn’t show.

I tried all possible things that were suggested in different forums like taking the battery out

and restart etc nothing helped.

Contacted LG support through their website and they said they will have it collected and repaired,

they got it collected through DPD

after about 10 days I got a notification that it’s being sent back.

When I collected it, I was very disappointed to see that they have not repaired it

and just sent a note that states:

“Out of Warranty Inspection Report

We have inspected your LG mobile and regret to inform you that due to our findings of liquid damage

we are unable to accept repair under LG’s warranty policy.

Faults/Found

Evidence of liquid residue found.

Comment

Unit is deemed to be beyond economic repair and out of warranty”

I called up their support line straight away and guy on the phone said nothing can be done as its liquid damage,

I said to him that it never fell down in water etc and he said that it could happen

even with small amount of moisture/dampness entering the phone which gradually expands.

I am not happy with the response I got and also do not agree with their findings and advice.

I need advice/suggestions as to what shall be the best course of action to resolve the issue

and either get my phone fixed, replaced or refunded.

1. Shall I contact LG again? Although I don’t think they will do much as the guy said nothing can be done.

2. Contact Capital One as paid through them and it was £234.

3. Contact Amazon

I understand that after 6 months things may become slightly more difficult

but like I said above I was always careful with the phone and experienced the heating issues within the first couple of months

and subsequently yellow spots afterwards and then finally it stopped working.

In my experience the phone design and hardware is faulty as I am not the only one who experienced these issues.

Looking forward to your help.

Thank you

mobile phone manu's always cite the water damage get out clause

as you paid via cap1

under a section 75 claim

they are equally responsible

though ideally you should have gone through the retailer under SOGA/CRA first.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for your response dx100uk

I have not contacted amazon so far, shall I first contact them and if they are not helpful file section 75 claim with Capital One?

Is there any template message I can use to contact Amazon in this scenario and the best medium to contact them please?

Thank you

pers i'd email them

think you can do it via the site itself [iM is it?]

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Thank you very much for your input so far, much appreciated!

I have received a response from amazon and they have offered me £140 and have stated the following:

"Amazon do not provide the warranty for this item. However, we do have certain obligations under the Sale of Goods Act which grants recourse against a seller of goods if those goods were defective at the time of purchase (i.e. if there was an inherent fault in the goods). This may include, in certain circumstances, repair, refund or replacement, but only to the extent that doing so is not disproportionate to the value of the goods, having regard to the use the customer has already had of the goods and the nature of the goods. In addition, in order to be entitled to any repair, refund or replacement 6 months or more after purchase of goods, you must be able to provide evidence that the product was defective at the time of purchase.

For more information on your rights under the Sale of Goods Act you can contact your local Trading Standards Office.

You purchased your product approximately 13 months ago and, until recently, have used it successfully and reported no fault with the product until now. In particular, you have had satisfactory use of the product for a period of time which exceeds the manufacturer's warranty period. As such, you are not entitled to a replacement or refund of the replacement value.

However, in this circumstance as a measure of goodwill, I've applied an Amazon.co.uk Gift Card to the value of £140.00 to your account.

You will be given the option of applying those funds when you confirm payment on your next order"

It goes on and states "Please note that the manufacturer is often in a better position than the retailer to deal with technical problems affecting their products. Therefore, should you wish to pursue this matter further, we would encourage you to contact the manufacturer to see if they are able to provide you with any further assistance. They may be in a position to offer a repair service or could provide you with information on relevant charges for an out of warranty repair. "

My points are:

1. It’s not correct that I reported no fault till now, I had contacted LG customer support about 4 months ago as well and reported heating issues and yellow spots appearing on one side of the screen. I have copy of the chat with me .
  2. How is a customer able to provide evidence that the product was defective at the time of purchase? Which companies offer independent inspection reports that will be acceptable to retailers etc?
  3. I have not had satisfactory use of the product for a period of time which exceeds the manufacturer warranty period so they cannot say that I am not entitled to a refund as such.
  4. I have already contacted the manufacturer and they have said they cannot do anything and that the mobile is beyond economic repair.

I am almost a £100 out of pocket due to ko fault of my own and I have always taken care of the phone and not exposed it to liquid or moisture in terms of using it near the liquids/water or very evident dampness/moisture .

Please suggest how shall I proceed please? Shall I ask Amazon to refund the full amount or ask them for a replacement with a phone of equal value? For example they are selling LG Nexus 5x for £230 at the moment which is less than what I paid for my phone to them.

Thank you very much for your help.

you are not quite rightly entitled to a full refund.

you are entitled if they think fit a replacement.

the decision is their s

did you outline proof you had contacted LG

might swing it

dx

and they

yes I did mention in the email to amazon that I already had contacted LG and the response they have given.

it seems the guy at amazon did not read the full message carefully as I did mention in my message that the warranty is valid till June 2017; it is clearly mentioned on the paperwork that came with the phone and that warranty is offered by LG and also was listed clearly on amazon when I bought it. so he is not correct in saying that it has exceeded manufacturer warranty.

thank you

and the warranty matters not anyway SOGA is your friend here.

dx

and they

ok :) . so what is your advice please? Shall I contact Amazon again with the points I mentioned above or shall I just accept the £140 and leave it at that?

thank you

yes they've made an offer

so that makes me wonder if they will up it.

dx

and they

hi,

contacted them again but it seems they are not even reading what I am saying to them and have just responded again with "you have had satisfactory use of the product for a period of time which exceeds the manufacturer's warranty period" . They have given me links to go to Trading standards, citizens advice etc if I want to pursue it further.

This gentleman seem to have success after 15 months of buying a product from them:

fireworks-forum org uk/threads/amazon-not-honouring-manufacturers-warranty.19942/

Do you think its worth using resolver co uk

What will be the advice regarding contacting the Credit Card company?

Thank you

Thank you

Edited by arts99