Bedroom Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am enquiring on behalf of family members. We have just been told by them that they are paying £50 per month bedroom tax. They are private home owners, mortgage free but in receipt of disability benefit, both are registered disabled and they are exempt from paying council tax due to being disabled. Is it correct that they are being charged a monthly bedroom tax?

IF its their house then they shouldnt be charged anything. The 'bedroom tax' is basically charging extra for a spare bedroom on PUBLIC housing. This means council houses or housaing association in the form of a reduction in housing benefit..

If its their own home, bedroom tax wont even be thought of.

I think you need to go back to them and ask again,

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You don't actually pay anything, it is a deduction from 'housing' benefit, disability benefit doesn't count.

Also, as said above, the under-occupancy charge only applies to Council and Housing Association housing, not private owner owned housing.

Adding further agreement to the answers given above.

The "Bedroom Tax" (Under Occupancy Charge) is applied as a reduction in the Housing Benefit paid to people who rent their homes from their local council. It was designed to discourage "under occupancy" - that is, people remaining in social houses which are too large for their needs. I'm not opposed to this idea on general principles, but the implementation takes no account of the realities of social housing supply and demand.

Anyhow, it does not apply to home owners (who are not eligible for Housing Benefit) or those who rent their homes from private landlords, to whom different rules are applied. Whatever your family members are referring to, it is not a Bedroom Tax.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Also which area of the UK are the family in that you are asking for and are you sure this £50 is for bedroom tax and not water & sewerage?

The reason I mention this is in Scotland water & sewerage is part of your council tax bill and even if your disabled and exempt from paying full council tax you still have your water & sewerage charges to pay.

Obviously this is different in England as the water & sewerage charges aren't included in council tax as these are via water companies.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The reason I mention this is in Scotland water & sewerage is part of your council tax bill and even if your disabled and exempt from paying full council tax you still have your water & sewerage charges to pay.

Hadn't thought of that. Good point.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Also which area of the UK are the family in that you are asking for and are you sure this £50 is for bedroom tax and not water & sewerage?

Obviously this is different in England as the water & sewerage charges aren't included in council tax as these are via water companies.

Unless the LA are resellers of water that have overcharged it's residents! I have a thread on this matter.

Refunds are now being made to these residents for the overcharging...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Hi Thanks for your replies

My family members live in Oldham, Greater Manchester

I have told them to ring the council office Monday morning to find out more regarding the £50 a month they are being charged,

they are not in receipt of any housing benefit just Council Tax reduction.

Hi Thanks for your replies

My family members live in Oldham, Greater Manchester

I have told them to ring the council office Monday morning to find out more regarding the £50 a month they are being charged,

they are not in receipt of any housing benefit just Council Tax reduction.

Just being nosey really... Did you get to the bottom of this? X

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

It might be a contribution to the council tax, if the whole bill is not covered by the C Tax relief.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!