How to find a plumber/tiler who will make a written report

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have had a disasterous refit of our shower, and are suffering leaks and noticed some cracked grouting too.

We have been in touch with Citizen's Advice Bureau and the first thing they said we needed was a written report from a professional to explain what the problems are and how to put them right.

However we are struggling to find a professional who is willing to put pen to paper to give us this. Reasons cited include they don't want to get involved in a legal battle, the repercussions for them going against some dodgy plumbers.

Can anyone suggest how I can get a plumber willing to do this sort of report?

Hope someone can help.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to get in touch with the CAB again tomorrow and find out.

I got in touch with Trading Standards earlier and they replied with this:

If you are having difficulty finding a plumber that is willing to put a report together for you, you may want to consider contacting a relevant trade association or your home insurance company to see if this is a service they will provide. There may be a cost for this service which you may need to consider claiming from your original plumber if it implies they are at fault.

I've tried the home insurance, they've told me that this isn't a service they offer. The company I'm having a problem with isn't a member of a trade association that I know of, but I've emailed the APHC this morning, no reply as of yet - I do not think they will get involved.

You'll have to contact one of the big companies.

In London we have dyno plumbing (dyno everything really) and Pimlico plumbers.

They'd probably charge a couple of hundred quid for a report, but if it's worth to you and you think you can get the money back, go for it.

Careful if the dodgy plumbers has a ltd company, they can simply fold as soon as you obtain a ccj.

Also a sole trader without any assets would be a dead horse.

How did you decide to go with his company.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

You'll have to contact one of the big companies.

In London we have dyno plumbing (dyno everything really) and Pimlico plumbers.

They'd probably charge a couple of hundred quid for a report, but if it's worth to you and you think you can get the money back, go for it.

Careful if the dodgy plumbers has a ltd company, they can simply fold as soon as you obtain a ccj.

Also a sole trader without any assets would be a dead horse.

Thanks. I think there is a branch of dyno here so we will give it a go! They are a ltd company. Sadly I suspect it may be futile or at least difficult :(

How did you decide to go with his company.

They had 100% feedback on mybuilder. Even though they were more expensive than our other quotes my wife felt that the guy seemed more knowledgeable and that we'd be in safer hands.

I never met him but now I'm stuck picking up the pieces!

Supposing you get the report done, then what are you hoping to achieve?

Court claim maybe?

The way these things normally pan out in reality us that another plumber puts right the faults and a claim issued against the original plumber.

The problems with claiming are pointed out above, sole trader with no assets or ltd co who could shut down and re open with a new name.

Im sure that all you want is a functioning bathroom with no leaks.

The sad reality is that unless you insisted on seeing his liability insurance certificate you will struggle unless the original plumber is prepared to come back to rectify his faults.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Hi

Thanks for the reality check. We do want a bathroom with no leaks but in addition we want to make sure it's going to last us.

Really we were looking for the report to use in a claim.

We didn't see the liability insurance cert ourselves but the company is listed as having their liability insurance verified by mybuilder.

Does this help us in any way, assuming this isn't a lie like their 100% feedback?

Thanks for your help!

Hi

Thanks for the reality check. We do want a bathroom with no leaks but in addition we want to make sure it's going to last us.

Really we were looking for the report to use in a claim.

We didn't see the liability insurance cert ourselves but the company is listed as having their liability insurance verified by mybuilder.

Does this help us in any way, assuming this isn't a lie like their 100% feedback?

Thanks for your help!

No, mybuilder and chackatrade do cross checking on public liability insurance, so most likely they are insured.

Unless they bought insurance when they registered to mybuilder and cancelled it soon after they'd checked.