Do I have to tell the council?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello again Caggers,

On 21st April 2016 I wrote to the LA to requesting them to end my claim for HB & CTA on 22nd April 2016.

They have only just replied and their letter tells me I will shortly receive "an entitlement letter" to confirm and also, as I requested an updated Council Tax Bill to confirm the new amount owed and instalments.

Then there is this line.....

"Please can you let us know why you wanted your claim cancelled"

I don't wish to tell them why I ended both of these claims. There is nothing sinister in my decision.

Do I have to tell them why I ended my claims?

Is there likely to be some sort of investigation if I don't tell them or will they just leave me alone?

Thank you in advance for any advice

They like to know why claims are closed because it helps them with recordkeeping, but you don't have to tell them if you don't want to. Refusing to give them that information won't start any sort of investigation - you can't be forced to claim benefits if you don't want to, or penalised for stopping a claim.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

When I closed a claim (for JSA), I simply put "personal reasons" which covers a multitude of scenarios. Never had a come-back or follow-up letter asking for more details.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thank you Mr P

Good suggestion "personal reasons" I will use it if I have to.

I've had a confirmatory "claim ended" letter from DLA, no questions. However they take two pages to list all the descriptors I scored LRC & LRM on, and gone to great pains to point out that I do not fulfil the criteria. Considering I gave no reason for ending the claim, I think their response is a little over cooked.

Who on earth is in charge of drafting these template letters?

I am still waiting for the confirmation letter from ESA acknowledging the close of claim and providing me with my P45.

No further word from LA, isn't it amazing how quickly they can act if they suspect something is amiss with a claim? Yet to end claims, it seems to take ages for them to send confirmation out to the "ex" claimant

Thanks all!