Illness and benefits

jojoflow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2980 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone help me please with some advice????

I am currently off work on a sick note for supraventricular tachycardia [heart palpatations due to a malfunction in my heart] and endocrine [gland} investigation.

Iam claiming sick pay from work and am allowed 3months sick pay. I have claimed 4weeks so far.

My job involves working with children that are challenged physically or mentally

Due to the fact that at any point my heart can malfunction, I believe that I am not safe to be working with these children.

I am waiting for appointments with each of the above clinics [heart & gland].

If I resign from work will I be entitled to any benefits???/if doctor signs me off????

I live at home with my 7yr old and 20yr old the older one has a form of autism.

Also is it possible that I can give up work and claim to be a carer for my 20yr old son???

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems.

I've moved your thread to the benefits forum and left you a link to follow.

My understanding is that at the end of your sick pay period, you could be entitled to ESA [employment support allowance]. Is your employer not prepared to pay SSP [statutory sick pay] beyond the three months?

If you have to claim ESA, then you could be entitled to other benefits like housing or council tax benefit. Have a look at this anonymous benefits checker and see what you might be able to claim.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

You can only claim to be carer for your son if he receives either daily living rate or mid or high rate care DLA and no-one currently claims carers allowance for him.

In regards to resigning:

If you resign and claim ESA, they won't question it. You claim ESA because you're ill. If you're unable to do your and are otherwise fit to work, you may be entitled to claim JSA. They may ask you questions.