Being penalised for not at fault accident

Budsmum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In the last year an old lady drove up the back of my car. My husband renewed his car insurance this week and he has had to pay an additional increase of approximately 25% due to a non fault claim. I am the named driver.

We shopped around and have taken the cheapest quote possible but still it's very annoying.

Can they legally even do this

Sounds like the previous insurer accepted a 50/50 claim as its the easy way out for them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yes Insurers do increase premiums for non fault accidents. The work on the basis of stats showing that once you have had one accident, you are more likely to have another. You will have heard of the saying ' things always seem to happen in threes'. People go through unlucky periods, after never having accidents or issues with cars for years.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes Insurers do increase premiums for non fault accidents. The work on the basis of stats showing that once you have had one accident, you are more likely to have another. You will have heard of the saying ' things always seem to happen in threes'. People go through unlucky periods, after never having accidents or issues with cars for years.

I still think it is extortion. If it wasn't your fault, then it should be illegal for you to have to pay for it. No wonder people put in personal injury claims, seems to be the only way to get something back from the years of increased premiums.

There needs to be a public insurance company ran and regulated by the government with fixed premiums and a proper claims system.

I pay the cost of my car every year in insurance.

I still think it is extortion. If it wasn't your fault, then it should be illegal for you to have to pay for it. No wonder people put in personal injury claims, seems to be the only way to get something back from the years of increased premiums.

There needs to be a public insurance company ran and regulated by the government with fixed premiums and a proper claims system.

I pay the cost of my car every year in insurance.

I have always supported a compulsory state insurance scheme for third party liability cover, which you obtain when buying car tax. They have this system in other countries. You then have the option of buying additional insurance to cover fire, theft, accidental damage etc.

With a state third party insurance, the government would legislate stricter limitations on injury claims. It would make it easier to ensure people have Insurance in place. Younger drivers would find it easier to afford to drive. It could boost the economy, if more younger drivers are able to commute to work, rather than just have access to public transport, which makes work locations and shifts difficult.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I am disgusted that I will be penalised for the rest of my like over something that is not my fault, I lived abroad where I learned to drive and have never heard of some so redicilous or illogical in my life

I am disgusted that I will be penalised for the rest of my like over something that is not my fault, I lived abroad where I learned to drive and have never heard of some so redicilous or illogical in my life

From what i have seen it is about an extra 10% over about 2 years. It is a loading applied to the premium, which comes off after a few years. So it is not for life.

There may be other general factors for the 25% increase. Insurers may have increased premium rates and the insurance tax was increased by government. So the 25% increase is a combination of a loading for the accident, a general increase in rates and additional tax.

Shop around to see what can be found. Sometimes you can get cheaper premiums using a local Insurance Brokers. There was a test done a few years back trying to find cheapest Insurance for younger drivers. From memory in most cases, it was a local Broker that obtained the best premium.

I have always supported a compulsory state insurance scheme for third party liability cover, which you obtain when buying car tax. They have this system in other countries. You then have the option of buying additional insurance to cover fire, theft, accidental damage etc.

With a state third party insurance, the government would legislate stricter limitations on injury claims. It would make it easier to ensure people have Insurance in place. Younger drivers would find it easier to afford to drive. It could boost the economy, if more younger drivers are able to commute to work, rather than just have access to public transport, which makes work locations and shifts difficult.

agree this works in a lot of countries

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I challenged Insurers on two occasions where no fault increase, and once the opposite insurer paid out in full they reverted paperwork to no fault, but it was recorded as fault until pay out from insurers, but I had to chase them to do it.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I challenged Insurers on two occasions where no fault increase, and once the opposite insurer paid out in full they reverted paperwork to no fault, but it was recorded as fault until pay out from insurers, but I had to chase them to do it.

The issue is that, even when it's recorded as no fault, it still results in an increase of premiums.

I've no idea how insurers can say that someone driving into you with no fault whatsoever on your part somehow makes you more likely to have an accident in future.