Microsoft ending support for Internet Explorer 8, 9, and 10

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Microsoft has ended technical support and security updates for older versions of its Internet Explorer browser.

The changes, which will affect versions 8, 9 and 10 of the browser, were announced in August 2014.

Some estimate that these older browsers account for more than 20% of web traffic while Computerworld claims that only 55% of IE users are using the latest version.

Browsers are often targeted by hackers and experts predict a crop of attacks.

"Beginning January 12, 2016, only the most current version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates," the software giant announced on its website.

"Microsoft encourages customers to upgrade and stay up-to-date on the latest browser for a faster, more secure browsing experience."

It is continuing to support IE 11 and Edge, which is the default browser for Windows 10.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35291938

• 2 weeks later...

It's all very well MS advising to upgrade but I.E.9 is the highest version that Windows Vista will support...and no, I have no intention of forking out a small fortune to upgrade Windows to the latest version when I am perfectly happy with Vista. It would probably go wrong anyway and leave me with no OS at all.

As it happens I detest I.E. and use Firefox 99% of the time but it was handy to have I.E. available as a backup for the odd site that doesn't work too well with FF. I suppose it would be dangerous to even open I.E.9 from now on.