Housing association refusing to grant permission to add a conservatory.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm a secure tenant in a property. I've recently contacted the landlord asking if they will give permission to let me build a conservatory. But they are refusing to give it! They say its because it will cause more expense if they need to do any maintenance however there is nothing to maintain above where it would be as everything is plastic and maintenance free. It states in my tenancy agreement that I can make improvements to the property as long as I get the correct planning permission etc. but I don't need it as its within the alowed limit and the are not allowed to unreasonably withhold consent but they are! Anyone help please!!

It's not the planning office that has refused, it is the owner of the house.

There will have to be some alteration to the building to make it waterproof where the conservatory is attached.

Any problems would then be his responsibility as the owner so although I fully sympathise with you, I can see

his long term reasoning.

Owned by an association or an individual, the consequences would be the same. They are responsible for the material state of the building.

Adding on a conservatory is not really the same as an improvement. It might increase the value or attractiveness of the building but would be a building alteration not an improvement.

Look at the conservatory you fancy and see the amount of building alteration that will be involved and go and see the association officer equipped with that information so you can talk face to face.

I have done so.. The only reason they will give is that if any maintenance work has to be done it would need to be scaffolded. It would need to be scaffolded anyway as the only maintenance that could be needed is if the roof needed to be repaired or replaced. There is one window which is UPVC so no maintenance required and UPVC gutter. I've been in property maintenance all my life and they are being totally unreasonable. The chap is new to the job and has not even seen my house so who is he to say no. Thanks for you advice but everything I do is falling on deaf ears.

I would expect any housing association to refuse permission for this.

why:

1. This is Social Housing and therefore not the Tenants property.

2. Irrespective whether it needs planning permission or not if you leave the property there is maintenance also could it cause structural damage to HA property,

3. This would change the insurance for that property.

4. Fire Safety, Electrical Safety

Even my own HA has that clause but it certainly doesnt mean adding a structure that you propose

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I would usually agree but!!! And a big butt!! They are only refusing permission on the grounds of future maintenance not requiring scaffolding. I've been in the property maintenance business for over 35 years and any maintenance work would require it if there is a conservatory their or not. If they don't want your to make alterations or improvements, why put it in my tenancy agreement?

I certainly wouldn't class this as either an alteration or an improvement but an Addition to the property.

Yes all HA have Cyclical Maintenance programme's and routine maintenance would be done to the property during its life cycle and this is funded by the rents paid by all service users and what you propose would also require maintenance and would have to be funded even after you moved.

There are numerous reasons they probably refused after considering health & Safety, Fire Safety, Security, Electrical Safety, Insurance, maintenance, Legal costs, will it affect Grants etc

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

"... so who is he to say no" The man that can?

Conservatories is an additional room built on adjacent external land, poss above underground service pipes. When/if that pipe leaks (poss sewer pipe) LL would have to excavate his/your Conservatory floor to repair. LL is also resp for maintaining/repairing his Conservatory.

As an Assured T you have security of Tenure, poss at below market, for duration of occupancy.

If you want a Conservatory, buy a property that has one, or space for one, and become a private owner/occupier.

I am with HA decision on this. Sorry.

If you build it without permission and they find out you could be asked to remove it at your expense.

Causing damage to property that is not yours could end your tenancy. The person saying no does not have to give a reason not to allow it's not your property.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

We never had any issue with our Housing Association and have had the conservatory for nearly 3 years. If we leave the property within the 1st 10 years of having the conservatory, they actually give you back a proportion of your outlay dependent on a sliding scale.

• Like 1