United Utilities discount

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help.

An OAP became very sick, was hospitalised and is recovering further in a nursing home. This has been over three months.

Is she entitled to a water rates discount since she is not on a metre but her property has been empty and I can vouch that no water has been used.

She has records that she has been in hospital and living at the nursing home. She lives alone.

She was advised that because she can not prove that no water has been used they wont discount her. But it didn't sound right to me.

Thanks

Clear33

I would suggest calling them and asking as my understanding is that water companies have different criteria in this sort of circumstance.

For example the one I work for (not UU) would waive the Rateable Value charges if council tax exemption has been granted by the local authority however I know of at least one other that would only consider this if the supply has been safeguarded (turned off totally) as without a meter there is no way of confirming usage (or non usage) as you have correctly stated.

Actually just found this link on their site which seems to answer your question, seems like you need to put it in writing to them and then the charges will not apply.

http://usearch.unitedutilities.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2491&TOPIC_ID=0&TOPIC_TYPE=0#.Vg0_rsvluM8

Oh, I never thought of looking at UU website - that's great very much appreciated.

'If we receive formal notice that you are going into hospital or residential care'

She was not aware she was going into hospital not that she would need a long respite in a nursing home... does this still apply in retrospect?

I would hope under the circumstances that there is some discretion with regards to that as not everyone will know this to be the case as in your situation when it was unexpected so I would suggest a call to them and see what they say.

A letter from the nursing home confirming date admitted and that they are still resident might not hurt if you can get one as this will show them she has not been in occupation of the property concerned but they might not even ask for one.

I would expect also that most people would not know that they would be vacant from their home when rushed into hospital under an emergency. Then immediately after followed the temp. nursing home.

I have drafted a letter ready for her to approve it and send it. It offers to provide evidence from the hospital and nursing home if needed.

Thing is, call centre advisors are not always 100% accurate with their advice either :-/

But will also try ringing.

many thanks.

Your welcome and having the letter from the nursing home in place will be useful if they need evidence of non occupation.

With that I cannot see why they would not retrospectively waive the charges under the circumstances but any problems then post back for further advice.