Urgent advice eviction - unprotected deposit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello need some advice.

Been a tenant for 14 months always paid rent when it was due.Small family myself wife and two kids 4 years old and 3 month old baby,

Our landlady decided out the blue to put the house for sale and has gave us two months notice :(

Few questions i have

1) our deposit was never but in a scheme we have never had an issue whre do we stand on this

2) with the house going for sale is she allowed to show up when she likes when she has viewings?

3) anyway we can delay the eviction after two months roughly how long have we got if we stay put

4) we have never had a new tenancy once 6 months where up it just rolled over

as much info to help us please

Hi there

More knowledgeable peeps will be around later.

In meantime

Can you confirm you were in an Short hold Assured Tenancy?

I *Think* she has to still give notice for viewings.

If the notice is correct then you can apply to the judge for an extension, but this will be measured in weeks not months if successful

IF you are in a Short hold tenancy, it has now become a periodic tenancy

Deposit *must* be protected! You could sue for 3x the amount back.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Short hold Assured Tenancy yes it is and no she has not paid our deposit into the scheme never had a letter..

She emailed us with two months notice which ends june 30th she also said she has sent a letter in the post recorded delivery.

what would happen if we never took the letter could the date be moved to later

found this is is it true she cant serve notice on us

What are my rights if my landlord has not protected my deposit?

Firstly, you are entitled to the return of your deposit and a maximum 3 times penalty. Secondly, your landlord is not permitted to serve notice to leave until your deposit has been registered.

Give Shelter a ring - they are great for advice on rental agreements etc.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Ok i will do but what i want to know is will the 30th June be my eviction date she emailed us saying that date.but she said a letter was sent yesterday recorded delivery telling us we have two months on the tenancy.now that letter has not come today so does that mean the eviction date will move to 1st july?

Shelter will be able to advise you on that too

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

chrisphilip,

I've suggested to Site Team that your thread is moved to "residential lettings" because you require advice on the unprotected deposit and other issues with the tenancy agreement.

This is not my field. ..... But having read various threads on CAG I know that with an unprotected deposit then you have a lot more rights.

Mariner51 is the "Dogs Doo - dars" on the subject.

Good Luck

The notice end date is not when you leave.

You leave after the court has given a eviction date.

I think with your family situation you may get priority help with housing.

Speak to local council.

So whats cooking today ?

Do nothing yet.... don't panic.....

She cannot serve you an eviction notice....

At worst she could serve you a section 21 notice, which is a notice of intent to get the property back...

.. HOWEVER!! even if that was served to you,

it would not be valid as the deposit is not protected and you have not received the prescribed information.....

Even if everything was done correctly ie IF deposit was protected, and the section 21 notice issued correctly..

. You still would NOT have to move out by 30th June..

. LL would then have to apply to the courts for an eviction,

(this can take up to 6-8 weeks) and only after the judge has ordered eviction do you have to move.....

If you do absolutely nothing now, LL will try to strong arm you out (verbally) after 30th June,

she may then take you to court who will throw it out as the deposit is not protected,

and then LL will have to either protect the deposit or give it back to you in full..

. and then issue the section 21 notice again and so the 2 month cycle starts.

As an aside, you don't have to allow anyone into your home unless you want to..

even if it says so in the tenancy agreement.

If LL has a set of keys I suggest you change the locks without damaging the doors and then change them back as you leave.

More people will be here to help you later I am sure...

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

chrisphilip, have you had an actual section 21 notice?

LL is obliged to give you one.

If/when you receive one it will be invalid because your notice is not protected (but don't be in a hurry to reveal that fact to LL).

See section 215(1) Housing Act 2004.

You'll like it.

There are plenty of ways of delaying eviction.

Carpet Cleaners have given good advice.

sit tight, do not alert her to the fact notice is invalid!

wait until she starts court procedure, who will throw it out if deposit not protected.

she will have to issue S21 notice after she has returned deposit.

then you can sue for non-protection.

so you have quite a few months yet.

but maybe worth looking for somewhere else, but take your time.

chrisphilip, we've all apparently omitted to say that LL will need a possession order if you don't leave upon receiving a s21 notice. In order to obtain such an order LL will need to bring a claim which the court will issue and send you. A defence form will be sent to you too, which you should fill in. The court can decide whether to make a possession order (under the accelerated procedure) without a hearing. You should try to get a hearing (particularly since it delays things). If you fail at the hearing you can (try to) appeal.