As executor am I liable ???

pgantley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been a joint executor of my late Grandmothers estate for the past three years.

The problem I now have is that the flat, which is a 70% shared ownership (over 55's apartments) has been on the market for the last three years.

Its had a few views and a few offers.

The last offer was rejected by the management company, Equity Housing (www.equityhousing.co.uk),

who say they means test the candidates before they are allowed to let them live at the property.

They where rejected because they had too much money ?!? OK, fair enough I suppose.

Whats happened now, is that there is no more money left to pay the monthly service charge to Equity, Council tax or other monthly outgoings.

The solicitor has now decided they will stop representing us/the flat because there is no more money to pay for anything.

My questions if any one can help is;

Can I hand back the flat to the Bank ?

Should I demand that Equity be more involved ?

Am I as executor liable for these bills and if they don't get paid will that go against me ??

I'm all ready with a Debt managment company and only just getting straight.

Thanks for any advice.

Will try and find someone who can help you with this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Just a few more questions.

Why are new owners "means tested" ?

Do you have the original contract and have you looked at what happens when someone dies and the property needs to be sold ? I am finding it hard to understand how the Management company have so much control over the sale of the property.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

My mother had a 70% share in her bungalow for over 55s with a HA and they insisted on selling. It was in the leasehold agreement so we had no choice. It was so they could ensure it was sold to someone who met the criteria to live there, but there was no means-testing.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Just a few more questions.

Why are new owners "means tested" ?

Do you have the original contract and have you looked at what happens when someone dies and the property needs to be sold ? I am finding it hard to understand how the Management company have so much control over the sale of the property.

Hi, I questioned Equity about this,

Equity explained they have a duty of care.

they have to make sure any new tenant fit the bill, so to speak.

Iv not seen the contract and agree with you, Iv no idea why they have so much control over who gets to buy the flat.

I could call them and ask on Tuesday. And ask for a copy of the contract.

Regards

I can understand ensuring they have enough money but not too much.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Colin 11th,

apparently, according to equity, it's not allowed and is in the lease.

I'm going to get more details about this. I'm sure once Equity realise there not going to get any more money from the flat,

they will be eager to get it sold.

Caro,

it turns out, Equity advised the last buyers to go and buy a bungalow.

:-(

That is ridiculous ?

BCOBS

You shouldn't be liable for the estate's debts. The only time an executor becomes liable is if they have mismanaged the estate in some way.

I think you have to inform equity and the bank about the situation. You might find that the bank decides to make the service charge payments to equity and adds that to the mortgage, in order to avoid equity forfeiting the lease. If the mortgage goes into default the bank might be able to sell the property but it doesn't sound like it would be easy for them to sell it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I don't think the bank could sell it as equity retain 30% of the property.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

bit of an update.

Except for the solicitor handing back all the contact info for the various agencies who should be paid each month, nothing has changed.

Im just going to contact each of the companies who are expecting money and explain the situation. I suppose Ill see what responses I get.

Steampowered,

Ill try your suggestions regarding informing Equity and the Bank. I think, so long as Im up front with them, if anything nasty crops up I can always say I let them know.

Thanks all.