Disability discrimination?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I just wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience or has any information on what to do about this.

At the start of my college course I informed them that I had epilepsy. I needed a few days off because of it and then I received an email in October from my tutor telling me I had been removed from the course. I hadn't been offered a chance to explain or offered any student support services before, or offered any reasonable adjustments.

I was told I might be able to get back onto the course if I was able to supply a letter from a doctor stating I would not have any more issues with the seizures. The person who told me this worked in healthcare and knew this was impossible. After a week I was able to force them to get me back on the course.

Then around January I was excluded from classes until I had a risk assessment for a few days.

I have now been told I have to have 100% attendance regardless of any epilepsy issues or be removed from the course.

Any advice on this?

Thanks

It depends what course it is.

If it involves hazardous materials and/or machinery it is their legal duty to make sure you are safe and therefore ask for a doctor statement.

Secondly, if the course requires 100% attendance, you should try to reach that target, but they should give you some flexibility based on your disability.

For example they could let you make up the lost hours with workshops, live learning or the very popular e-learning sessions.

It depends what course it is.

If it involves hazardous materials and/or machinery it is their legal duty to make sure you are safe and therefore ask for a doctor statement.

Secondly, if the course requires 100% attendance, you should try to reach that target, but they should give you some flexibility based on your disability.

For example they could let you make up the lost hours with workshops, live learning or the very popular e-learning sessions.

Thanks King. We have very rarely an experiment. Maybe 3 or 4 a year but I was excluded from all classes which are 99% theory. Unfortunately there has been nothing offered to me.

So you informed them of your medical condition on enrolement for the course and were accepted for the course?

Did you follow the colleges Procedure if ill/unable to attend the course?

Have you actually had an episode with your condition during college time?

How long had you been on this course before they decided a Risk Assessment was required due to your medial condition?

During this issue was it just a Tutor from your department or was it the Head Tutor for that department corresponding with you/had a meeting with you?

Have look at the colleges website and download:

Student Handbook/Information

Complaints Procedure

Attendance

Disability/Medical Conditions (anything referring to this)

Equality Policy

Have a good read of them

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 4 months later...

I have been trying to sort some issues with my son and college. He's 17 and severely physically disabled. The difficulty I've found, other than ignorance is the cross overs in laws with it being a post 16 institution, which I don't fully understand. It's would seem to me tho that if either you followed their sick procedure or if you were prevented from following the proceedure due to your disability ( you can hardly phone to tell them during a seizure and from what I understand , following a seizure can take days to function 100% again) and they removed you from your course soley down to that absence, then it would amount to discrimination arising from a disability. Do you have anything stating that supplying this doctor notes is a condition of accepting you onto the course? I would imagine this is indirect discrimination although as you were taken back they have done what they can to prevent the discrimination. The 100% attendance I'd say is discrimination in any circumstance. If you are the only student that that applies to I think it would amount to direct discrimination. Even if it applies to all students you are still at a greater disadvantage due to your disability so would be indirect discrimination.

With regard to being off college - how long were you off, were u supplied with work? Were you able to go to college (not classes) or stay at home?

You should clarify anything I've put as its just info I've come across as a concerned/angry mum but hope you get on ok. I think the fact that your willing to stand up to such discrimination is great.

HSBC - 11/9/06 - prem letter sent

19/9/06 - lba sent £3391 requested

5/10/06 - MCOL

17/10/06 - offer for £1600 on one account recieved

28/11/06 - Full offer recieved

Capital one - 13/9/06 -letter asking for statements sent

17/10/06 - prelim sent for £640

Lloyds TSB - 13/9/06 -letter asking for statements sent

17/10/06 - prelim sent fro £732

Lloyds TSB - 26/9/06 - prem letter sent - £391