Bought car from dealer off ebay - didn't mention gearbox fault

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - I'm in a bit of bind with my car so thought I'd ask your advice. Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this I haven't been here for a while!

Basically a dealer had an ebay auction for a car and I won it. As the place was a 6 hour round trip I made the mistake of not viewing the car before hand. I also paid for it to be delivered so I didn't have to give up a precious weekend day with the kids to go and pick it up. It was delivered after a week, then the problems started...

I noticed a crunch when putting the car into first gear. Being handy with a set of spanners decided I would replace everything possible to do with the clutch without removing the gearbox. Basically replacing the easy/minor bits (clutch master and slave cylinders) with genuine parts - to rule them out as being the cause of the problem. Unfortunately that didn't solve it and now by process of elimination it's looking like a major expense to fix it - most likely replacing the gearbox.

As it was bought from a dealer over ebay do I have any options to return the car for a refund? Or have a shot myself in the foot by replacing parts (albeit with new genuine ones)? I paid for the car at the end of Feb, almost a calendar month ago.

As an aside the car is covered in rust, far more than would be thought consistent with age. This wasn't mentioned either.

The perils of buying anything unseen from ebay! Lesson learnt... if anyone can offer me some advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Matt

Yes you do have the option of returning it for a refund. Of course you will have to do hope for good cooperation from the dealer – that he is prepared to receive the car and also give you a refund.

You don't say what the value of the vehicle is that you can easily be in a position where if the dealer cause you any problems, you may find that you are put to considerable expense to get the car up there, find that he won't accept it and then you have to take it back.

A very expensive lesson for you I think.

How was the car delivered, driven or transported ?

The clutch is by far the most cost effective repair, (especially if you are handy with a spanner), and it isn't a difficult job. Drag or not throwing out fully will give you the systems that you are seeing.

If the car doesn't match the advertised description, then attempt a rejection, (which must be done by letter). Of course he could say this isn't the car that he sold as you have changed some parts, but being logical, that would be in his favour if you don't also want reimbursement for them.

Have you taken screenshots of the ebay advert? If not then you should and then write to him with you complaint about the car and see what he comes back with.

So it was delivered like that and you test drove it and accepted it like that? And now you have removed parts of the car and replaced it with other parts and expect the seller to believe that you haven't broken something? Id be surprised if you get anywhere with this, but worth a shot asking for a refund. How did you pay for the car?

If I was the seller id be asking why you didn't flag this up straight away and why you have fiddled with the car.

Possible id be worried about the [problem] where a broken gearbox is swapped for a working gearbox and then the car is sent back for a refund.

Thanks for the response so far!

To answer a few questions:

The car was delivered on the back of a lorry not driven up, I was away with work so didn't test drive it.

Car was £3000.

I didn't flag it up straight away as I wrongly thought it would be a quick fix.

After the fact it's clear I've made some silly mistakes but at the time they were taken in good faith.

I know the next step will be contacting the dealer but I'm still not clear whether I would be able to get a refund eventually given that I have repaired parts (albeit with genuine items).

I would try the dealer and see what he says.

What make of car is it and what age? You might find its cheaper and easier to fit a second hand box and be on your way and ask the dealer to pay the costs of that rather than the whole refund.

Are you sure it was a dealer you bought the car from or just an ebay seller. Do they have other cars for sale?