Pensions and divorce

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've recently separated from my husband. He's been advised that I can claim 50% of his pension accrued since the day we married and vice versa. We had 2 children before we married and were living together for 10 years before we actually got round to tying the knot. When the kids were young I worked on and off and mainly part time so didn't actually start a pension until 9 years ago so its pretty worthless just now.

Should the 10 years prior to marriage be included in calculations when deciding what I should receive?

He walked out and is refusing to contribute any further to any household bills, we rent a house so no mortgage to worry about and kids are all grown up. I wasn't planning on asking for a share of his pension but he's left me struggling to meet ends meet every month. He always earned about £600 a month more than I did and we shared all bills. I have HP on a car that I need for work but this was taken out when we needed a second family car. I was the one who took the finance while he kept the fully paid family car. Could this be counted as a debt that he should be contributing to?

This is more of a legal situation for which you need to see a Solicitor that handles divorce settlements. I am not sure you can claim anything prior to your marriage. The marriage signs you both up to accept a joint financial relationship, even though you may pay into things individually.

Perhaps he needs a letter from a Solicitors outlining the financial issues he needs to consider and that there is a need for all sit down to discuss. Decisions will need to be made about the financial commitments signed up to when you were living together.

I regularly read comments added on CAG and elsewhere, where one party to a marriage is left to deal with all the financial commitments and they end up having to deal with the debt collectors etc. It is not a fair position and the longer it is left for both parties to deal with it, the worse it will get for both parties.

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your advice. We ended up in severe financial trouble about 9 years ago and went through hell trying to sort it out, I'm not going down that route again. I'll see a solicitor asap.