What to do? Am I at risk with Dealer / DVLA? Bought car recently - now getting refund - didn't ever send off V5..

learningtofly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Will try to be brief:

Bought a car circa 7 weeks ago for £2000.

Dealer gave me a receipt. Also gave ME the entire V5 to fill in and send off!

Within days I thought that there were issues with the car.

I had filled in the V5...but did not send off. I figured at this point (perhaps somewhat misguided?) that if the dealer refused to carry out repair work to make the car right....I might stand a better chance of getting a refund and giving the car back if I told him he could have the V5 back - tipex my details - and so hence not record another owner on it - who then would look like he was selling it on within weeks of buying!

I took the car back to dealer and complained saying he needed to put things right.

Have since had it back to dealer with various different issues - multiple times. Work has been done - but are still issues.

Dealer has just now had car again for a few days - and has just informed me that he is going to give me a full refund.

I'm wondering about the V5 thing now. If I go in and tell him i never sent the V5 off - ask for my money back as he has said - and ensure V5 is tipexed and my details gone - is this ok?

Any possible risks? Via DVLA or any other way?

I have had the car insured in my name and taxed since buying it.

Any recommendations on what to do?

Sorry if this is foolish...just suddenly got concerned.

destroy it and tell the garage he will have to request a new one.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

RE: erasing details? - If I get my money back, and the dealer has the car and the doc with my details taken off it...are the grounds for an issue in any way? Appears the car was never sold to me......or I bought it...then changed my mind - and dealer had filled in my details then had to erase my details as didn't complete the sale?

RE: Destroying it? - Likely to cause me an issue though when going in to get my money back and give him back MOT and other car docs..... As he will ask where V5 is....I will say what? "I've lost it - you will have to apply and get a new one?" Can see this perhaps being a bit iffy with him? No?

Suppose I'm wondering is there some possibility of it coming back to bite me....somehow...that I've not thought of.. if I go in - explain - "look I've not actually sent it off yet....suppose I've done you a favour eh as haven't added another owner....so lets erase my details and call it quits and you keep the car and all docs and I get my money back" ????

You've had 7 weeks to send the V5 off. You should have sent it off the same day you got the car. It is a legal document with repercussions if you don't send it in. It isn't a record that you are happy with the car and want to keep it. I would check if your insurance is valid too, as you aren't the RK.