Refund of Experian Insurance Fees

Eversir
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3390 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a little anecdote from a few months ago. Meant to share it here sooner but got a little waylaid with other things.

I was an Experian customer last year and had subscribed to their £14.99 a month product to be able to view my credit report and credit score. At the time, I was not aware that I was also being sold an insurance policy for identity theft protection.

I decided to cancel my Experian subscription after a while; I didn't really feel it represented good value for money as I rarely apply for credit products. However fortunately I stumbled across this article when I was looking into cancellation, which I believe was prompted by CAG in the first place:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2627599/Experians-6-month-cover-dont-admit-DONT-need.html

When I spoke to Experian to cancel my account, I challenged them about the mis-selling of their ID theft product and demanded a refund of each £6.40 monthly premium I had paid. The customer service adviser refused at first, stating something along the lines of the £14.99 was a non-negotiable fee.

However, when I disagreed with this position and quoted the advice in the article, particularly the part about getting in touch with the Financial Ombudsman Service, Experian finally relented. The customer service adviser returned after speaking with her manager and promptly refunded the premiums I had paid to date - about £50.

I was also offered their £2 per month "monitor" service. Of course, I politely refused :)