Boiler changed and pipe work not finished

axil23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a boiler changed in a property I rent out by a big company. They came in and re-piped the entire system from the gas meter to the boiler in the kitchen. There used to be an old lady living in this two bed flat who didn't like gas cookers and used a microwave to cook everything. So in 10 odd years I never had a need for a gas cooker although the pipes for it were always there.

Since then the old lady has moved out and when I came to plugging in a cooker the connection was no longer there. So basically when the plumbers re-piped the entire system they forgot to put in a provision for a gas cooker.

I should mention that this work was carried out 6 months back for a set fee which I think was £800 and the rest was covered under a grant that the lady qualified for.

The installers are now saying that there was no provision for a cooker in the first place which is wrong.

Is there anything I can do?

I have no knowledge of the legalities of your situation, but as a mere observer I find the part of your post where you say "The installers are now saying that there was no provision for a cooker in the first place" quite ambiguous and leads me to ask the following question, the answer to which might aid those who do have the knowledge to assist you.

• You seem to be taking the existence of pipework in your kitchen as evidence of there being provision for a cooker, but do you know what the installer is actually arguing? Does he deny the pipework existed at all, or does he accept that it did, but denies it was connected to a supply and therefore didn't see the point of replacing it?

I also wonder if there remains physical evidence of the pipework in your kitchen? For example, the wall mount brackets or at least the holes left behind after their removal, either of which would enhance your argument.

I have no knowledge of the legalities of your situation, but as a mere observer I find the part of your post where you say "The installers are now saying that there was no provision for a cooker in the first place" quite ambiguous and leads me to ask the following question, the answer to which might aid those who do have the knowledge to assist you.

• You seem to be taking the existence of pipework in your kitchen as evidence of there being provision for a cooker, but do you know what the installer is actually arguing? Does he deny the pipework existed at all, or does he accept that it did, but denies it was connected to a supply and therefore didn't see the point of replacing it?

I also wonder if there remains physical evidence of the pipework in your kitchen? For example, the wall mount brackets or at least the holes left behind after their removal, either of which would enhance your argument.

They are denying the fact that pipe work existed and yes there is physical evidence of the original pipe work being there.

Was the existing supply for the cooker actually connected to the meter or branch connection.

If there was no gas cooker and the branch or supply disconnected then I would assume they deemed it was no longer needed and did not reconnect it, un less specifically told to reconnect it.

Was the existing supply for the cooker actually connected to the meter or branch connection.

If there was no gas cooker and the branch or supply disconnected then I would assume they deemed it was no longer needed and did not reconnect it, un less specifically told to reconnect it.

Yeah the original was all connected. All that it needed was a cooker to start the supply off. I guess the installers assumed that since there wasn't a cooker they did not need to reconnect the supply.