style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3388 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was on the bus when ticket inspectors got on

clicked my oyster card and asked for my ID card as I a discount card due to being unemployed.

I did not have my card

he asked for my address and name which I gave him

he checked with his operator and

asked if I had any other ID which I did not

I normally carry all my cards but on this occasion had left them indoors.

He issues me with a penalty of 80 reduced to 40 if paid before 21 days.

My card is rgistered and they had my name and address but still issued the fine is this fair?

Mashmallow

• Like 1

Hello, yes it is fair and no, it isn't a 'stitch up'.

You need to have a valid ticket and any qualifying document to prove entitlement to the discount on you and show these when asked to do so by anyone authorised to ask.

Sorry, but those are the rules and I am quite sure you would have seen these somewhere in writing when you first got this ticket/discount card.

• 2 weeks later...

I have appealed I am very good at losing things and I really did not do this on purpose genuine mistake on my part I tink if I had other ID on me he may have let me off but as I did not he had to produce a ticket, I have appealed and also sent a copy of my supporting card so hopefully they may let me off as I am unemployed and have not got £40 let alone 40p.

I am not a criminal

Mashmallow

I watched a few programmes about this and yes the amount who deliberately try it on is enormous, but I don't see why there is a blanket fine when there doesn't need to be. There are honest people in this world.

If this isn't a cash cow, then neither is council car parking charges and private parking companies.

Please go back to the OPs first post. What we are talking about here is someone who, knows what the rules are because in applying for or receiving these discount cards the rules are made clear right at the beginning.

So, we have users who want to take all the benefits of these cards without having to abide by any of the conditions, despite the drawbacks of failing to comply with the conditions being known and pointed out right at the outset. Complying with these terms can be managed by all but a tiny fraction of the 2% who don't pay their way for various reasons.

The penalty for failing to comply was perfectly clear. Unfortunately, that can be a sharp learning curve for some people, but 98% of the great British public travel with valid tickets and comply with the terms & conditions every time. The T&Cs and advertised penalties are an essential part of trying to manage revenue loss on a huge scale. it is certainly NOT a cash cow and amounts to a tiny fraction in the overall scheme of things

I have certainly heard some horror stories about TfL, for example, you jump on a bus, go to swipe your Oyster, there is no money on it and an inspector then appears and accuses you of trying to evade the fare...

The sheer number of people using TfL means that it appears that treating people who have made an honest mistake fairly is often overlooked.

As far as TOC's go, they also sometimes overlook that the very same people they are pursuing are often loyal customers who may have spent many tens of thousands with the company. The PF report mentions the case of the well paid guy who evaded fares for many years and even when caught avoided prosecution simply as he was able to offer a huge sum to the TOC, here was a case where clearly someone should of been prosecuted, alas this is often the fate of people who cannot afford to offer huge sums to the TOC. > http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/13/man-avoids-prosecution-pay-back-43000-train-fares