Linux - which flavour to use?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3347 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thought it about time I had a dabble with Linux and thought would use it as a dual boot with a Vista desktop. Initially downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS a month or three ago but never had time to give it a whirl. Over the last few days upgraded it to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, downloaded the ISO file and mounted on a DVD but it falls over each time with different problems. In the end gave up and have tried again with Linux Mint Cinnamon but again it falls over. Vista does freeze a lot so think it may be something to do with this.

Now I've bit the bullet and ordered a new harddrive for an unused P4 system as think it may run better as a standalone system. Or is there a better Linux to try?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I find Ubuntu Studio to be good, it has XFCE desktop so looks a bit like a Mac OS with a top bar, it also doesn't have the much debated Unity desktop. It is however a distro for media creators ;. as a curve ball solution Pardus Linux is worth a look, that uses the KDE desktop so looks a bit like Windows, it also has a neat installer and has a friendly community.

As you are using a P4 a good option would be a lightweight relatively speaking distro that can work well on older hardware so Xubuntu or Kubuntu are worth a look.

LXLE is another that might suit

http://lxle.net/

As is Elementary OS

http://elementaryos.org/

I might try the last two myself on an old Celeron Laptop to see what they are like.

I would look at the last two as serious contenders as they may well be considerably lighter on resources than any of the 'buntu's even Xubuntu and Kubuntu.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I am running a Raspberry Pi webserver. I grew up with DOS and then Windows, so Linux is new to me.

Rather than writing chapter and verse on your question, I will just pass on my top suggestion.

The different distros have differences in the way commands are built up and executed. For that reason I would stick to a distro that will do well in a Google search - you are more likely to find answers to your problems.

My Pi is running Raspbian, which is based on Debain. That does well on Google. So will Unbuntu.

personally i like kali linux...

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

that looks interesting, seems not a std desktop o/s though?

not as such. i have it multibooting for a few differnt uses, works ok as a desktop o/s however as is based on one of the other linux so takes standered terminal commands (is it debian ive forgotten)

its a good one ot have fun and play with, so is deft - another one i multiboot

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Yes PT enjoy your dabbling with Linux, as Conniff says you can try them as a Live OS booted from CD/DVD, or even a USB pen. Incidentally there are distros that can be used to check and clear viruses from a Windows Box. A good backup OS that is small and fast that runs from CD or pen is Puppy Linux, now that is something else entirely as it doesn't need a hard drive at all it runs in a RAMDisk That has a footprint as small as Windows 98

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 2 months later...

If installation is a problem, Ubuntu might be your best bet. It'll give you plenty of guidance during the installation process. If you wanted to describe the installation problems you're having I'm sure someone here could help.

Not strictly Linux, but have you considered FreeBsd? It's a very stable OS and can run some Linux application in direct emulation. It is the most user-friendly in the BSD family and 95% of applications available for Linux will be available for FreeBsd. No flavours, just one organization offering both kernel and user applications.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

For a complete beginner, Elementary OS is non too shabby, works out of the box.