Online, personalised goods - doesn't really match the picture - right to return?

HALSM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Getting married soon and ordered a personalised cake topper. When it came it was not really the same style as the photo example. Specifically, the "Mr" and "Mrs" are not at different levels and the first letter of our surname is not overly large as in the example (see below)

The example pictured is as so:

il_570xN.578467490_rnac.jpg

The one we got looks like this (click for bigger):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54567[/ATTACH]

Emailed the seller the asking if she could make one with the above features, reply was:

Thank you for getting in touch, I apologise for the long delay in getting back to you. We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with your order. I have had a look at the photograph you have sent to us, and can see that the way the & has been placed is due to the letters included in your name. Because of the L we are unable to have the exact same design as Mr and Mrs Smith. We are always happy to send a proof before processing an order if this is requested. Unfortunately we are unable to send a replacement free of charge as this item is not faulty or damaged. However we would be happy to include 25% discount on a new order.

I replied with:

I understand that each design will be different due to the different letters in various surnames and it is unfortunate that ours didn't allow for the usual style to be applied.

What really attracted us to your design was that it had multiple levels of words (The "Mr" high up, stylish large "&" followed by a lower level "Mrs". The surname also had a large Capital which balances out/matches the large "&" sign). I'm sure you can understand why we are slightly disappointed with the end result, as it has very few of the advertised example's features.

If it is not possible, as you have said, to create a topper with a similar concept to the example using our surname; then can I regretfully request a refund. I don't like to ask, and I am more than happy to cover the original postage costs.

She said:

Thank you for getting back to me, unfortunately as this item is a personalised item we are unable to offer a refund or exchange. However as a gesture of goodwill I can either refund you 25% of the order or we can offer a 25% discount on a new order with another design.

So, It is a personalised item, but it doesn't really match the example. Am I entitled to my money back? or is the 25% off actually more than generous?

I'm just interested more than anything, as to whether she's right or not.

Hi HALSM

Welcome to CAG

The following applies:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/265898/consumer-contracts-information-cancellation-and-additional-payments-regulations-2013.pdf

To be honest it isn't a huge issue, disappointing 'yes', 25% off the price is a good discount and very generous. I would be inclined to accept.

Personally I would say it's very close to the example. As they say, the layout is going to be a bit different depending on the letters in the name you requested. The H is noticeably larger compared to the other letters as well if you ask me.

The Mrs has had to be higher up due to the L, otherwise the L would've been so short as to look more like an I than an L.

Congratulations on your forth coming wedding!

I get you want everything just so, as it is every Brides perogative.

I personally think, your Cake Topper is unusual, unique & delightful....

I totally love it, it sure will look a right treat on your Wedding cake...

But ultimately it's you that has to be happy, not me.

So in your position you can suggest an alternative layout to the Vendor, ask for the Mr to be raised a bit more, as the first part of the H could go up higher, so that it then looks on par like the Mr & Mrs Smith one. That may just do the trick as the L hasn't too many options....

I wish you a wonderful day & Good Luck for the future!

Edit to add;

Just been reviewing pictures again & the first part of the H would most defiantly look better if it was extended upwards. As this would in turn push the Mr up to the point where it would like the Template!!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Personally I think it looks fine, but then again I am of the opinion that getting married is about the rest of your life together rather than one day being just so.

If you perfer the one shown on their website more have you thought about asking your husband to be if he would be willing to change his name, after all this is the most important day in your entire life.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle