UKCPS ongoing parking 'charge' - ** WON AT POPLA **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I parked in a UKCPS car park in Leeds at the start of September. I paid the money for a day's parking and put the ticket on my dashboard. I parked in an end 'bay' that and all was fine.

When I returned to my card I'd received a parking notice 'charge' for parking outside a 'marked bay'. There is a sign at the car park along the lines of "if you park outside a marked bay you enter into a contract to pay us £100 (reduced to £60)". It appears the bay I parked in wasn't classed as a proper marked bay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53594[/ATTACH]

I was parked in the same position as the grey car in the photo above.

I appealed to the UKCPS stating that:

1) The marking of the bays was not clear

2) I'd paid for full day's parking so how could they ask for £100 when they haven't lost any money.

I received a letter at the end of Sept stating that the appeal had been rejected, parking outside marked bays was dangerous, and I'd parked agreeing to the written contract on the sign saying if I park outside of a marked bay I had to pay £100.

What should I do next?

Just for information these are some more photos of the 'marked bays' in the car park in question:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53595[/ATTACH]

As you can see some 'bays' have 3 white lines surrounding them, some 2 white lines.... for example can you park to the left of set of lines in this photo?? :-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53596[/ATTACH]

Many thanks for any help.

Jules.

Appeal under whatever excuse you want. Theyll reject it (as they have done) and should issue a popla code. Then appeal to popla under the fact you have paid to park and use GPEOL as a main appeal point.

White lines/bays on private land have absolutely no legal standing at all.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Not sure why it would be dangerous to park there. As long as the handbrake was on! :wink:

Get a POPLA code, it costs them ~£27 to give this to you. Appeal on the GPEOL. You paid for the full day, they haven't made a loss. Don't worry, technically the markings on the ground don't mean anything.

Hey many thanks for the quick replies :-)

I'll follow your advice and write to the POPLA. What do you think my chances are of winning the appeal ?

Thanks again.

Using GPEOL at the charge they state? 100%

When you get your code, come back here and we can help with your appeal.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

You already appealed and they havent provided a popla code. However, check the letter as they do like to hide the code in the form of a reference number or similar so you dont notice until its too late, and then cant appeal as youre out of time.

And thanks for the donation :) It will be put to good use.

Weird letter. They say they will send you a popla reference if your appeal is rejected when theyve already rejected it.

Either theyre inept or theyve hidden the reference number in the letter.

Most likely both.

Yep. But as i said. Give your letter a quick check as they have been known to hide the popla code within a reference number or similar.

Yep. But as i said. Give your letter a quick check as they have been known to hide the popla code within a reference number or similar.

Ok, what format does the popla code take? E.g. 3 numbers + 5 numbers etc.

Thanks

Ok, what format does the popla code take? E.g. 3 numbers + 5 numbers etc.

Thanks

10 digits long. I think the UKCPS POPLA codes start with 876 thumbup.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Thanks again everyone :-)

I've double and triple checked the letter and (apart from UKCPS's own 7 digit 'Issue Number') there is definitely no 10 digit number.

I'll therefore write to UKCPS, using registered post, and ask for a POPLA code.

They are hoping that you will either pay up or not appeal a second time so they dont go to POPLA and lose (as they will). Copy your second appeal to the BPA and complain that your first appeal faield to get the necessary POPLA code and that they are abusing the law by failing to provide it the first time round. The BPA will probably only say that UKPCS have now provided POPLA code (after suitable delay to allow them to post it out and not look like they have had a b0**ocking)

Just to note, some PPC's have a new trick of getting the code, but not giving it to you until 2-3 days before the code is expired. Make sure you check when you recieve it :)

UKCPS will likely leave it till a couple of days before the expiry date. If they do, then youve got them big time :)

• 2 weeks later...