Powergen Help PLEASE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6397 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a very long winded story & I'll try to make it as short as possible.

I had my gas from TXU Energi, when they were taken over by Powergen in around 2003 I rec'd a letter from them telling me they'd cancelled my DD. I rang & rang & rang them trying to set up a new DD only to be told I wasn't a customer of thiers!

I registered with their on line system but couldn't get onto my records, I even left a automated reading over the phone which was excepted! Transco confimed I got my gas from Powergen so I sent a few payments to see if they were bounced back or they actually hit an account. They didn't come back but I still couldn't set up a DD - so I gave up. The last bill I recieved from them was 10th Novemeber 2004!

In Sept last year I rec'd a letter asking me to pay £1,200 or they'd cut off my gas supply. I wrote them a letter explaining the issues (problems with telephone & net service & lack of bills) and asking them to cancel the debts due to thier incometence - they refused - so I left it again.

Then 28th August 2006 I receive another letter, this time demanding around £1,700.

This was my reply:

Further to your letter dated 28th August 2006 and previous correspondence regarding the above account. In an attempt to resolve matters, I would like to set out a number of key points which summarise the situation and are beyond dispute.

• Payments were satisfactorily made to the account by direct debit until the order was cancelled by TXU Energi, as notified in their letter dated 25 January 2003.

• A number of attempts were made by myself to set up a replacement direct debit. These were unsuccessful as I was repeatedly informed by yourselves that I was not a customer.

• A number of part payments were made by me following the cancellation of the direct debit mandate, in an attempt to bring the account into line.

• No bills have been sent to me for almost 2 years – since November 2004.

It is clear to me and crucially, it would be clear to the industry regulator, Ofgem, that there have been failings on both sides since the original direct debit payments were routinely and satisfactorily collected.

Accordingly, as a last resort before contacting Engerywatch, I am willing to consider, as a reconciliatory gesture, making a one off payment, in full and final settlement, of £431.97, this being commensurate with my degree if culpability. I would then expect you to confirm that the debt is considered to be repaid in full.

I look forward to receiving your positive response to this letter within 14 days.

They have offered to deduct 10% from the overall bill and have explained that I had no bills as paper billing stops when people register with thier online system.

I cannot afford to pay the amount they are asking for & to be honest I really don't see why I should - can anybody help here with where I go next? Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for reading this x

Halifax 1

WON - £1,355.49 21/07/06

MINT

WON - £273.81 14/09/06

First Direct

WON - £913.50 01/09/06

Capital One

WON - £130.13 03/11/06

Halifax 2

WON - £188.03 01/12/06

Kensington Mortgages ERC

MCOL for £6,204.39 Discontinued

Halifax Mortgage Admin fee

WON - £10.00

Direct Line Mortgage Redemption Fee

WON - £99.00

Halifax 3

MCOL for £109.01 reg 07/03/07

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/redemptionfees/

Please sign this petition x

I had HUGE problems with British Gas following changing supplier to NPower a few years ago. There was an issue with the gas meter point references being mixed up with my neighbours house. British Gas actually cut my neighbour off TWICE!

Anyway, this went on for months, nearly 18 of them. Me ringing them, Npower and Transco trying to sort the mess out. It seemed quite simple to me. Swap to reference numbers over so they matched the right address.

British Gas then sent me a bill for nearly £300 because they hadnt been charging me even though they had still been supplying.

The only sensible conversation I had was after I sent a letter to the Managing Director, cc'ing my local papers, Trading Standards, the regulators etc. I think there was about 7 ccs in the end. I received a call from the MD's secretary the very next morning offering her apologies and stated that she would be prepared to let me settle the account for £50. Bargain!

My suggestion, go straight to the top if you get no joy from your first letter. Involve your local press, mine were very keen on the story and had rung me to arrange a photographer to come over just before the call from the secretary!

Good luck.

My experience with BG is as typical, however letters I sent to the CEOs were unanswered, as were the enquiry's from energywatch. A last-gasp intervention by my MP - no less - got the matter resolved, and I departed to join EDF, and never looked back. Don't forget your MP, if all else fails - it's surprising how a resolution cna be found if s/he becomes involved.