Will Scotland stay or go?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think the Barnett formula does need a bit of an update for sure.

If anyone's not up-to-speed with how it all works, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

I am not sure anyone would volunteer to do this. Best option would be a special select committee in parliament.

There is apparently a German model for portioning money out to the different regions, which some say might be the basis that replaces Barnett. As I understand it, each region is scored in terms of poverty and they receive a top up of money where required. This could equally be applied to Cornwall, as it would be to Scotland.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Barnett Formula was only met to last for a short period, but the Thatcher Government just carried on using it.

That's straight from Mr. Barnett.

I think the Barnett formula does need a bit of an update for sure.

Updating my arse, it should be scrapped. Why should the scots get more per head of population than the English and Wales. Salmond was probably right when he said we will use Sterling as Westminster will cave in.

Why oh why are MP a bunch of bloody nancies.

yep we in England would be better off.

I would love to have a vote to be independent! of the EU, wales, defo. NI and as well.)

They have a golden opportunity and they should grab it with both hands. ( what I don't understand is then they want join the EU and give it all up again ).

The number of peoples throughout the world that have fought and died for independence and all they have to do is put a cross on a bit of paper.

I am begining to think a Feudal UK is the way forward

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I was impressed by Gordon Browns speech yesterday. Why couldn't he be like that as P.M. Think the debate has also opened a debate south of the border with issues like The Barnet Formula and the proposed ring fencing of services for Scotland should they stay. Will make for an interesting run up to the general election.

what I don't understand is then they want join the EU and give it all up again

EU membership is one of the few thigs that I agree with Mr Salmond on! It does far, far more good than harm. It's just a massive shame that much of the press gives it such poor rep and thus distorts peoples' perception of what it's all about. Granted, I do think that *some* powers should be repatriated.

I would not trust G. Brown as far as I could throw him! ( a complete idiot ).Solely responsible for the crisis; deregulated the banks as CE then surprised as PM when it all went tits up and used our money to bail them out.

Should of let them go bust! and given the money to us. Banks cant loose at that rate.

EU is fine as common market which is what we originally signed up to. Cameron promised a referendum then took it away; and that is more than likely to do again!

gripe over!

Just hope they do take this once in a lifetime opportunity though.

A few thoughts , should the vote be yes

UK passports , as Scotland would be no longer be part UK . I assume all passports north of the border will be null and void ,

As we do not administer vehicle registrations in The Irish Republic , should we the UK be administering Scottish vehicle registrations ,

The same goes for driving licences

Mobile phones , will Scotland be a roaming area separate from UK ?

We have already heard that The National Lottery will not accessed north of the border

The Post Office is a UK operation , so mail sent to Scotland will now be sent “abroad “ at extra cost

In a way I hope they do vote yes , I will give me pleasure to watch them crash and burn in a few years

A few thoughts , should the vote be yes

UK passports , as Scotland would be no longer be part UK . I assume all passports north of the border will be null and void ,

As we do not administer vehicle registrations in The Irish Republic , should we the UK be administering Scottish vehicle registrations ,

The same goes for driving licences

Mobile phones , will Scotland be a roaming area separate from UK ?

We have already heard that The National Lottery will not accessed north of the border

The Post Office is a UK operation , so mail sent to Scotland will now be sent “abroad “ at extra cost

In a way I hope they do vote yes , I will give me pleasure to watch them crash and burn in a few years

LOL.

That just"scratches" the surface. ...

Air traffic control ?

Defence ? The list is endless !!!!

The Isle of Wight might do the same soon at this rate.

Question:

As the "Scots" refer to themselves as "Scottish".

Are we in England yet allowed to refer to ourselves as English ?

Or is that still regarded as not PC ?

So it was NO after all.. and they still come out winning. That is if all the promises made are kept.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A win/win for Scotland. It was never in doubt.

So it was NO after all.. and they still come out winning. That is if all the promises made are kept.

The turnout shows how important Scottish people and those who have moved there feel about being part of the union.

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes, the turnout was fantastic and I believe they got the right result for Scotland (and the UK) :)

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Details of the funding arrangement can be found in HM Treasury's Statement of Funding Policy.[3]

The persistence of per capita public expenditure lower in England than elsewhere continues to attract calls for the formula to be renegotiated. Using figures for the financial year 2006/2007,[4] if a UK-wide per capita average were a notional 100%, identifiable per capita expenditure on services in England would be 97%, in Scotland 117%, in Wales 111% and in Northern Ireland 127% (this does not take account of non-identifiable expenditure, such as defence and debt interest, which are deemed to be for the benefit of the entire UK, regardless as to where the money is actually spent). In cash, this would work out as (per person):[5]

England £7,121

Scotland £8,623

Wales £8,139

Northern Ireland £9,385

The population of England is 83% of the population of the UK. Instant abolition of the Barnett formula based on the above figures would result on an average UK expenditure of approximately £7,362. This would be a large decrease for each person in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland but an increase of less than 4% per person for England.

Although not subject to the Barnett formula, there are significant variations in identifiable spending between the regions of England:[5]

North East £8,177 – 111% of UK average identifiable expenditure

North West £7,798 – 106%

Yorkshire and Humberside £8,188 – 115%

East Midlands £6,491 – 88%

West Midlands £7,065 – 96%

Eastern £6,144 – 83%

London £8,704 – 124%

South East £6,304 – 86%

South West £8,677 – 121%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_formula

IMHO, every person should be treated equally !

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello fellow UK citizens :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Things cost more in the South then in the North.

I agree - although it must be appreciated that it isn't as easy as saying everyone should get an identical amount of money.

Hello indeed.

There was a tweet made after the first five results all came in as No that made me smile - 'Salmond seen taking off in a private jet, destination unknown' ;)

Ironic that his own constituency voted a resounding NO :lol:

BCOBS