Complaint deadline extension when the company migrated or closed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a domain name in 2006 and renew it until 2008. However, in 2008 when I tried to renew it again (received an email notification for this purpose) my payment has been rejected and the company started claiming that I did not renew the domain name during the two last years. Since that was my first purchase of domain, I also made a complaint only to the company which was in fact a simple reseller : they told me that the true registrar had closed and themselves were migrating. I thought that the domain name was locked and I will be informed (with first priority to re-purchase it) as soon as the finished their process however they didn't and in 2011 the company itself has closed (trading under another name).

In further research I found that I could have directly file a complaint to Icann but I was not aware of this last nor the company/registrar didn't provide me any complaint procedure (but just on phone that "they will contact me later").

My present problem is that icann is presently saying that they may accept my complaint since it was more than 3 years ago.

Thanks in advance for help,

William

You should be able to renew directly through nominet or whatever registrar governs the domain

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

My issue is that I am one year too late in order to make a complaint. But knowing that the company changed their name in 2008 without providing any information shouldn't I have at least one year extension?

IIRC correctly there are set rules for this type of thing. Have you tried the registrar/icanns complaints procedure?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Have you tried the registrar/icanns complaints procedure?

It is icann who told me that I may be too late saying :

Please note that section 3.4.2 of the 2013 RAA only requires registrars to retain records related to domain registrations for two years after a domain names expiration. Accordingly, ICANN may not be able to process a domain renewal complaint regarding a domain name that expired in 2008.

I have not tried the nominet. Please note that in 2008 when I contacted the registrar the firstly told me they were migrating and a year later they closed 9now part of another company).

I think you have missed the boat for going back on this.

Can you register for the same name with a different top level instead (e.g. .net or .co.uk instead of .com)?

If you really need the old name back I think you are going to have to ask the current owner. And that could be expensive.

I think you have missed the boat for going back on this.

Can you register for the same name with a different top level instead (e.g. .net or .co.uk instead of .com)?

If you really need the old name back I think you are going to have to ask the current owner. And that could be expensive.

This option seems impossible.

Edited by William300