There are other ereaders - it isn't all Kindle!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few months ago we were a four Kindle family. Two got the alas-well-documented-in-hindsight screen problems & then there were two. MiddleSon, in the middle of the first Game Of Thrones book was distraught - and in a benevolent gesture I loaded the series onto My Kindle & lent the caboose to him. I missed my kindle.

When he was in school & I was sat waiting for the car to be fixed, I had to arrange temporary reposession. The app on the phone was a huge help but sometimes you need the phone to work as a phone & your eyes appreciate a slightly larger target area.So when I heard Blackwells was selling an ebook reader for under £30, I investigated.

A bog standard nook not only was affordable, I could add a microSD card & vastly expand its library. (Well, so I thought. If you can read stuff off the chip, *I* haven't figured how yet.) Also I had to convert my chosen reading from mobi to epub - not that big a deal thanks to Calibre. (Free software, but lawabiding - DRM & it won't play without some fairly nifty footwork.)

A couple of months in & I'm very happy with the nook. Barnes & Noble email me each week with nice expensive ideas & I take notes & ask my net-running pals if they can find me anything by X, or title Q in epub. (I calibre stuff in exchange - they love the hunt, I the conversion to readable.)

So I now find myself with two libraries, three ebook readers & I wouldn't change it, As It Works For Us. Should YoungestSon want an ebookreader again I'll nudge him towards the nook as he likes the stylus & I like the price. The nook has a touchscreen which strikes me as more fragile, somehow - yet is encased in a nice solid rubber housing so it can cope with being shoved in a pocket.

If you want to try an ebook reader, and can't quite face the kindle entry price (plus the risk of same again in 13 months), get a nook at it's discounted (not list!) price & see how you go!If m'father tries to palm his old Kobo off to us though I'll kick - he got the cheap-with-ads model & we see enough advertising without contaminating our reading with it!

Edited by citizenB
spacing

A friend of mine has a nook and wouldnt swap it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I've got a small Kobo as a spare (got that when WH Smiths had them cheap) and am looking for a Kindle replacement, mine was bought in Feb 2011 and is very well used (and travelled).

I have some books however that don't read well on a Kindle as the font is very feint... might try a conversion with Calibre.

I will have a look at the Nook over the weekend and see if I like it. Trouble is there isn't a Barnes and Noble near me so might have to go into central London. No major hassle as I work at London Bridge.

My wife has had a Binatone for years and not had a single problem with it. Not many days pass without her nose buried in it. The memory card makes life simpler but isn't a necessity as the memory is enough to hold all Nora Roberts books and others.

i use a samsung tab 2 with aldiko, very good, can change background and text colour etc

and calibre is great alot of people share their collections online with it

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I've never used a kindle or an ebook reader.

I use a free app called Cool Reader (after trying various others) on my Note 3. It's actually really good with lots of options & extras.

I love being able to have a read of my current book where ever I am!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!