Anybody self employed (UK) claimed Disabled Worker Tax Credit Element ?

RogerHarris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am interested in information from anybody here who has signed of ESA (or similar), started a business and received tax credit, specifically the “Disabled Worker Element” (DWE). If they were not running at a profit while they did this that would be even better.

I suffered a relapse from a previous psychological condition (OCD) so currently have started a minor ebay shop (science supplies) under supported permitted work while on the work programme. Supported permitted work limits the shop size as it’s only intended to be a stepping stone. The next step from here to make a profit anywhere near that of covering costs and earning an independent wage means leaving ESA and upping the amount of trading to a full ebay business shop.

Specifically the work programme (I am on) advised me I can sign off currently even while the business has no profit ! They say this will work and I will be able to cover living costs because I can claim Tax credits that include a Disabled Worker Element (DWE). This is primarily because I fulfilled these criteria.

1. 16 hours plus work

2. Have a Disability that puts me at a disadvantage in getting a job

3. Receive ESA.

4. Have a prospective startup business (even if not in profit)

The work program proposal is that the transition from ESA + Housing benefit will be seamless (relatively) as I move to Tax credits (Basic element + Disabled worker element) + Housing benefit. They base this proposal on the number of their clients in similar positions who signed off and claimed DWE. I have some concerns over what they say (perhaps I am not justified) as the work programme advisors career performance is primarily dependent on signing clients off and to what degree clients longer term outcomes matters to their career outcomes is not clear.

So this is why I am seeking any experiences of this process from anybody here who has started a business and received tax credit Disabled Worker Element (DWE). Specifically even while they were not running at a profit would be even better an insight.

Just anything you know. i.e. Did the transition go as planned or not. If it went OK was there a problem later on ?

I am located in Scotland if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your information

R Harris

Thanks to action group

Harris V abbey : settled

Glasgow Council Parking appeal won

Harris vs Santander: BCOB threats below had them refund charges, donate compensation to charity and alter branch policy.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_wcM5ZfmEE5TjRiU0JBM0xZYzQ/edit?pli=1