Parking ticket but unclear signs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondering if I have any chance of appealing this parking ticket.

I was parking on Charlotte Street in Birmingham today. I used to park there regularly as my wife worked on Charlotte Street and it was always pay and display both sides. On driving down the road I saw the pay and display signs on the right hand side (road is one way single lane with parking bays on both sides) There was an empty bay on the left side so I pulled into this and paid for 3 hours parking from the pay and display machine on the right hand side of the road.

On returning to my car I discovered a parking ticket on my windscreen. The traffic warden was at the scene having a discussion with another person parked a few spaces behind me who had also received a ticket.

The warden pointed out the right hand side is pay and display but the left hand side of the road is permit holders only. He then pointed out a small sign about 1 foot across and 8 foot in the air, which was identical to the pay and display signs other than bearing the wording “permit holders only”.

The warden admitted a lot of drivers get caught by this and they often overturn the tickets on appeal as a result. After the warden left I saw another lady park on the left and buy a ticket from the machine on the right although I could not get to her in time to warn her she faced the same issue.

Do people think I stand any chance of appealing this ticket and if so what is the best strategy.

Just appeal it with a polite letter explaining the mix-up. It will help if you enclose a photocopy of your P&D ticket and say that you had no intention of trying to avoid paying, and that it was a genuine mistake etc.

That's all you can do - and see what they say in return. You stand a fair chance of getting it cancelled.