husband needs to go self employed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

I am the main claimant for benefits, and have been for some years. We have an 8 yr old.

my problem is : I have mental health problems over the years resulting in a breakdown. I was told I was unfit for work at a medical assessment over a year ago. however, I am interviewed every six months to see how I am getting on and if and when I will be able to work. This frankly is making my situation worse as it just piles pressure onto me. my husband is capable of work and would quite happily do so.(he is not my paid carer) I am in no fit state most days to cope on my own and we both know this would not be practical. My question therefore is: If my husband becomes self employed (not sure as what yet) will we get help with rent and council tax, would we get any other help? This is the only way we can think of to ease my situation.

many thanks

you can claim tax credits. This is based upon the number of hours worked and expected income over the year. the figures are tweaked annually unless your position changes drastically and then you need to tell them.

Have you considered applying for carer's allowance?