Name Amazon UK as joint / second defendant - goods not as described - A-Z Guarantee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I'm helping a customer who has been sold a defective product on Amazon Marketplace.

The item(s) were flooring that differed from the picture & description in:

1) the quality of timber, i e. full of knots & defects not shown in the picture.

2) the construction / overall appearance.

3) the dimensions

Despite these differences, the seller - Flooring Direct - have refused a refund unless she pays for insured return carriage herself.(an insured pallet to Scotland).

Amazon have denied her A-Z guarantee claim and subsequent appeal.

Given the above differences, I'm sure that she will win in court if / when it comes to that, but given Amazons guarantee (shown below) should amazon be named as a joint defendant?

From Amazons Website:

A-to-z Claim Conditions

When you buy from third-party sellers on Amazon.co.uk, the condition of the item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the A-to-z Guarantee.

You can make a claim....

Your request meets one of our A-to-z Guarantee conditions below.

The item you received was damaged, defective, or materially different from the item represented on the product detail page.

Is this claim being brought in England or Scotland?

http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/frequently-asked-questions/small-claims

A quick google implies they would need to file against the seller in Scotland. Is this right?

They would probably have to drag a sample of the flooring to Scotland to win. Costs?

Thanks.

But what about Amazon ?

Any Instances of holding them to their A-Z guarantee? The guarantee is clear in promising refunds where the goods are different as advertised.

It was an important factor in ordering from an unknown entity some distance away.

The goods are different colour, size, quality and construction than advertised. Yet amazon denies her the refund and regards the case closed!

Surely they can be held to it ?

Amazon.co.uk is a Luxembourg company and their User Agreement provides that any disputes should be resolved through the Luxembourg courts.

My understanding of the European rules on jurisdiction is that the customer can choose whether to sue the seller where it is based (Scotland) or where the contract was to be performed (England). To sue Amazon the customer can choose England or Luxembourg if this is a consumer contract. However if this is a business contract Amazon may only be sued in Luxembourg.

However, you are allowed to join closely related claims. Even if this is a business contract Amazon can be sued in England/Scotland but only if it is made a joint defendant to a claim against the seller.

Did Amazon explain why they rejected the claim?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

They don't give reasons, nor respond to detailed descriptions about colour, size, quality & construction. They just say she's not covered because the guarantee only covers things that don't work or are not as described??? I suppose it's made from the same species of wood as advertised. And it's a floor. That's where the similarity ends.

Numerous emails pointing out all the above reasons why it is not as described are met with the same robotic response.

She's not being fickle. I'm a woodworking professional, and even supplied the trader and Amazon with timber grade specifications. Another proffesional laughed out loud when he saw it!

I'll try and upload pictures.

Hi Thegreenpimpernel

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain whats happened (purchased floor tiles - 'not as described'), how Amazon have let you down (A-Z Guarantee policy not applied - when it should be) and what you want them to do (a full refund), send photo's to support you complaint.

Send it to:-

Mr Christopher North

Chief Executive

Amazon UK

cnorth@amazon.com

If Customer Services aren't listening, escalate the complaint before you do anything else.

Hi Thegreenpimpernel

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain whats happened (purchased floor tiles - 'not as described'), how Amazon have let you down (A-Z Guarantee policy not applied - when it should be) and what you want them to do (a full refund), send photo's to support you complaint.

Send it to:-

Mr Christopher North

Chief Executive

Amazon UK

cnorth@amazon.com

If Customer Services aren't listening, escalate the complaint before you do anything else.

Thanks for that. They declined to send an address despite asking several times. Only one I could ind was in the Netherlands.