My mother receives Job Seekers Allowance without signing on

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At Twickenham Job Centre, they have been paying benefits to my mother without my mother signing on. My mother's job seekers advisor explains that my mother does not need to sign on as "hardly anyone signs on anymore".

I believe this is totally incorrect as a Job Seeker surely would have to sign an agreement in order to receive their benefits and must comply with the agreement in order to maintain their benefits. Otherwise a Job Seeker could receive their benefits and also obtain employment at the same time as they are not agreeing to any terms and conditions.

Can anyone confirm whether people have to sign on in order receive to benefits?

How old is your mum, if she is over pension credit age which is 60 at the moment then its possible that she wont have to, when I was claiming couples JSA for me and my Husband he was not required to sign on or sign a job seekers agreement and was not required to go on the work programme, that was because he was 64. He signed a form to exempt him

Of course JSA claimants need to sign on. Could she be receiving a different benefit, such as ESA?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

hi, Sandy here ( B/C's o/h ) I had to sign on even though not entitled to any benefits what so ever as it was a joint claim, as I am now medical exempt and have to get " fit" notes from my GP I of course do not sign on, if I was doing I would be expected to be looking for work and I am 62 in October and like I say get nothing and not entitled to anything

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

Attendance Allowance?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

My mother is 55 and has not signed an exempt form.

Furthermore, my mother is in receipt of JSA only.

I assumed that all JSA claimants had to sign on and I could not believe when my mother told me that her advisor stated that she does not need to sign anything in order to receive her benefit. I was so shocked when I heard this information that I asked my mother to tape record the JSA advisor to find out why she does not have to sign on in order to receive her benefits and the JSA advisor clearly states on tape that "hardly anyone signs on anymore".

From your response (antone) I believe something untowards is going on then.

My mother is 55 and has not signed an exempt form.

Furthermore, my mother is in receipt of JSA only.

I assumed that all JSA claimants had to sign on and I could not believe when my mother told me that her advisor stated that she does not need to sign anything in order to receive her benefit. I was so shocked when I heard this information that I asked my mother to tape record the JSA advisor to find out why she does not have to sign on in order to receive her benefits and the JSA advisor clearly states on tape that "hardly anyone signs on anymore".

From your response (antone) I believe something untowards is going on then.

Eh, it's a weird thing for an adviser at the Jobcentre to say, yes. Is she part of a couple claim and somehow exempted because her partner signs? But it most certainly is not true that "hardly anyone signs on anymore". The vast majority of JSA claimants must either attend the Jobcentre (fortnightly or more often as required) or, if they live in the middle of nowhere then they might be able to sign by post.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

My mother is single and she is not exempted in anyway. She attends every two weeks and speaks to her adviser. On the previous two occasions my mother has requested to sign on and the adviser explains that my mother does not need to sign any paperwork whatsoever.

In the past my mother had to sign paperwork to receive her benefits, however, now the Job Seeker's adviser states that hardly anyone signs any paperwork anymore.

My mother is single and she is not exempted in anyway. She attends every two weeks and speaks to her adviser. On the previous two occasions my mother has requested to sign on and the adviser explains that my mother does not need to sign any paperwork whatsoever.

In the past my mother had to sign paperwork to receive her benefits, however, now the Job Seeker's adviser states that hardly anyone signs any paperwork anymore.

Thats means they could say she didnt turn up and what proof would she have none!

Right, so she is being asked to attend, just not to actually sign the coupon. Well, I suppose that aspect of things could be in the process of changing - she should certainly ask the adviser if he or she has entered her "evidence" on the computer system, even if she's not being required to physically sign anything. It's the "evidence" update to the computer that actually triggers the JSA payment.

I haven't had to sign on for a year or so now - I wonder if any other members who are currently signing on have experienced what you describe.

no antone Bob still has to sign on every 2 weeks, ours is a joint claim

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

no antone Bob still has to sign on every 2 weeks, ours is a joint claim

So he has to actually physically sign a piece of paper at each visit? That's certainly what I've been used to.

yes antone he signs a piece of paper and has to watch them put his claim through

I'd definitely be wanting some proof that I'd attended - either a card of some sort bearing the date and the advisers signature, or create one of my own which I'd get them to sign and date.

At the very least, I'd want to watch them putting the payment through as confirmation - though no doubt they could possibly retract it after I'd left.

In this climate of 'sanction customers any way we can' I'd be very cautious of taking a JC advisers word about anything.

in my area years ago they started excempting many people as the job center got overwhelmed. This was a while back tho long before the WP existed. I think about 11 years ago now. Basically letters were given to people stating they didn't need to sign on until further notice. It lasted for several months, possibly over a year.

You aren't the Duncan Smith family, are you?

When you discover how your mother does it I hope you let us all in on it.

Haha, that's a good one.

I think the key point here is that my mother's job seekers advisor stated that "hardly anyone signs anymore," which from all your responses appears to be a complete lie.

Furthermore, it does not seem to be mistake either, as two different advisors at Twickenham Job Centre have confirmed that the mother does not need to sign in order to receive her benefits.

Based on all your responses, I believe something untowards could be going on and as a result, I will lodge a complaint and/or Judicial Review on behalf of my mother. Thanks for all your help.

Op may want to check if his mother is taking part of any job signing trials I know some people have been advised they are no longer required to come to jobcentre every 2 weeks , just keep maintaining their job search logs and the jobcentre reserved the right to call you in if required

Furthermore, it does not seem to be mistake either, as two different advisors at Twickenham Job Centre have confirmed that the mother does not need to sign in order to receive her benefits.

I would recommend getting this statement in writing on headed DWP paper (with a manager's signature) - Always worth having written evidence should things go wrong in the future.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

• 1 month later...

Just a final update to conclude this thread.

I can confirm that my mother made a complaint to DWP and as a result DWP have confirmed that all job seekers must sign on in order to receive their benefits.

My mother's Job Seekers Advisor has done a complete U-turn and has made my mother sign for the previous two signing dates that he wouldn't allow my mother to sign before.

I believe this was an attempt by the Job Centre to cut my mother's benefits. Thanks for all your help.