What happens to Direct Debits if the bank goes under?

MimiJane
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a current account with the Co-op and am seriously thinking of switching banks soon for obvious reasons! All my DD's and SO's come out of this account and I'm wondering what would happen is I remain with them and they go belly-up. What would happen to all the DD's/SO's associated with the account? Would I have to manually sort it myself, or would I have the time/chance to use a switching service to another bank/building society?

I don't have a lot of money in the account and know I'd be covered for this.

Any advice welcome.

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Thanks both, though I've still no idea of the answer to my original question and can find nothing re. this by reading about the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. I know I'm covered up to £85k, but don't know what would happen to the DD's and SO's in the event of the bank going under.

your claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

The transfer of all DDS/SOs and current accounts etc., is now quicker and simpler than before.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I know about the new 7-day switching service to a new bank account, but don't know what would happen if I stayed with the co-op and it went under.

your claim

There isn't really an answer to your question and it depends on what you mean by "going under".

If it gets to the point where bank accounts are not operational then payments (including DDs & SOs) cannot be made.

It is easy enough to switch over direct debits yourself by advising the companies concerned of your bank details.